Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's been having a combination of diarrhea and constipation for like a week. Early on, she would be pooping like every couple hours. Last 2 days, she doesn't poop all day until night time and then she goes in her exercise pen that I keep her in at night time. Last night, she didn't poop all day and then I finally got her to go at 2 am outside thinking I'm all good. I wake up today and there is 2 pieces of poop in her cage. Last night, she actually finally had a pretty solid stool outside at 2 am but she went back to dark diarrhea in cage

I don't know what to do. I have her on great quality dog food that's designed for pitbulls. I put her on chicken and rice for a few days but this pattern is still there. She was eating this high quality dog food for a month before there was any problems and she gained tons of quality weight. She seems to feel great now, eats everything in sight, stomach doesn't hurt, has tons of energy. I had a vet look at her last Monday and said she seemed great. I think what could have upset her stomach is we gave her some coconut oil and also whipped cream like couple weeks ago but I assumed that would stop after a day or two. Why is it still going on? Could it be a bug? If it's a bug, what explains the constipation? Although I don't see her straining to go to bathroom, she just doesn't go all day until night time. When she went last night. It came out really easy. I say constipation because she doesn't go all day.

I don't know what to do. Should I go to vet with stool sample? Is she pooping in her cage because she did it once and now she remembers the area due to smell?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Yes, take stool samples to the vet. Things like coccidia and giardia can be hard to diagnose, and can take repeated checks to find.

Meanwhile, cut out any and all supplements like coconut oil and whatever.

She's pooping in her crate because she needs to go out, and just can't hold it any longer.

Loose stools can cause them to not go.

I'm still of the opinion that the food you are feeding probably isn't agreeing with her.

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
I feel like we've had this discussion before and the answer remains the same. The food may be too rich or you may be feeding too much of it. I'm personally skeptical that there is a single food suitable for all ages of dog (all life stages) or that there is a single food suitable for all dogs of a particular breed. For a while, I was feeding an all life stages performance blend from Victor. It is an excellent kibble, but not for my dogs.

Or your dog may have a parasite which, as previously pointed out, is best diagnosed by taking a fresh stool sample to your vet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That dog food is for weight/ agility training pits. Google buss the pitbull. Do you think he has the same nutritional needs your baby has? That food is suitable for him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That dog food is for weight/ agility training pits. Google buss the pitbull. Do you think he has the same nutritional needs your baby has? That food is suitable for him.
She was eating it for a month and all her stools were very solid and she felt great and gained 10 lbs of solid muscle

The dog food gets excellent ratings on every website

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, take stool samples to the vet. Things like coccidia and giardia can be hard to diagnose, and can take repeated checks to find.

Meanwhile, cut out any and all supplements like coconut oil and whatever.

She's pooping in her crate because she needs to go out, and just can't hold it any longer.

Loose stools can cause them to not go.

I'm still of the opinion that the food you are feeding probably isn't agreeing with her.
Why is she not pooping all day long?

Then she poops 3 times between 2 am and 6 am? Isn't that very bizarre?

Is it because she pooped in her crate and smells it now?

She gets tons of great exercise by the way

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
You keep asking the same questions and getting the same answers. At some point you'll have to decide if you're really interested in the opinions of others or you'd prefer that everyone just tell you you're doing everything right and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
She is not pooping all day because after gaining 10lbs you increased her food amount (as you should) and the amount of extra caloric density has increased to the point that you are now having issues that will only get worse. More to the point what are you doing to yout very young dog that is adding that amount of solid muscle? Over training at this stage can have SERIOUS repercussions.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The dog food gets excellent ratings on every website
It doesn't matter how many excellent ratings it gets if it isn't the right food for your dog.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is not pooping all day because after gaining 10lbs you increased her food amount (as you should) and the amount of extra caloric density has increased to the point that you are now having issues that will only get worse. More to the point what are you doing to yout very young dog that is adding that amount of solid muscle? Over training at this stage can have SERIOUS repercussions.
the weight doesn't look extremely excessive. She still actually looks pretty lean. It's not like she is getting overweight

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't matter how many excellent ratings it gets if it isn't the right food for your dog.
I put her on rice and chicken for 2 days and it didn't help

and why would she be doing awesome for 3 weeks and then it's a problem? for 3 weeks, all her stools were very solid and she was pooping regularly everyday

and what's super duper bizarre is not pooping all day until midnight - 6 am

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The first and simplest explanation is that you're overfeeding her foods that are too rich for her. This can have serious repercussions besides just digestive issues.
Because puppies are growing they don't necessary get fat from overfeeding, but it still affects them. Slow and steady growth is best for large dogs.
The most common cause of a puppy growing too quickly is diet. If you overfeed your puppy (also known as overnutrition), your dog will gain weight. Overnutrition is typically associated with taking in too much protein, calcium, vitamin D and phosphorus. Overfeeding your puppy can result in skeletal abnormalities, hip dysplasia (arthritis of the hips) and osteochondrosis (a condition that affects the joints of young, rapidly growing dogs).
My Puppy Is Growing Too Fast – Dog Health Information – Banfield Pet Hospital®).

The vet can also test a stool sample to look for common issues like giardia. I would also ask the vet about just doing a precautionary deworming if she hasn't been wormed or hasn't been wormed recently - sometimes parasites don't show up in a particular stool sample screening but are present and messing with the dog. Parasites are just a part of dog ownership - pretty much every dog is going to pick them up in some way or another at some point, particularly puppies, which put everything in their mouths and have immature defensive systems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So it's most likely the food. Do what you want, but if you continue it'll most likely get worse The big issue I have was the 10lbs of muscle on a 4 mo old pit. That's most commonly caused by over training (sometimes with weights) and is excessively dangerous. Pits are prone to hip/joint issues and you can do severe damage to them while they are growing. They naturally develop good muscle,but they have an excess of gamness and a resistance to pain that allows for severe overtraining if it is not handled responsibly.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
and why would she be doing awesome for 3 weeks and then it's a problem? for 3 weeks, all her stools were very solid and she was pooping regularly everyday
If it's parasites, the parasite load increases over time.

Food sensitivities and allergies can also develop/emerge over time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it's most likely the food. Do what you want, but if you continue it'll most likely get worse The big issue I have was the 10lbs of muscle on a 4 mo old pit. That's most commonly caused by over training (sometimes with weights) and is excessively dangerous. Pits are prone to hip/joint issues and you can do severe damage to them while they are growing. They naturally develop good muscle,but they have an excess of gamness and a resistance to pain that allows for severe overtraining if it is not handled responsibly.
I wasn't training her crazy. Just normal training - playing with puppies, some tug of war, running around. She was gaining great muscles on that dog food

Any idea on why she wouldn't be pooping until midnight

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im glad to hear that. Lots of peeps over train pits to make them big and scary. Its really not good, sorry if I came on strong. In that case, may I ask her vital stats (what kind of pit, weight and weekly gain) not tring to be intrusive but needing context.
The fat content binds up her digestive system causing an odd mix of constipation and diarrhea. Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head that causes that is rawhide chews. The same happens to pepper when anyone gives her normal fat dairy. They gave her cheese at puppy class today and the gas is already starting.. sigh. Rawhide does the same to her, if you are giving her those stop. Look, I get it. it's a good food, it really is, and not cheep either. it's just too much right now. I researched it too especially since we are doing light agility traing with our girl (she's a 4.5 mo old apbt/ boxer mix currently 35lbs). It is just for dogs that ARE doing high intensity training. Taste of the Wild is 1 step down in terms of caloric density and more appropriate for puppys. There are a few other good ones per my way too extensive research, but that is the one I chose after weighing all the pros and con for way too long. I want to assure you, pepper is also gaining great muscle tone. I completly understand wanting to make sure shes getting the right thing. They are bundles of go. So here are her vital stats: We re averaging 3-4 lbs a week, which is still high for her breed, but within spec (only just). Her sisters were 5 and 10 lbs lighter at last weigh in a week and a half ago, and averaging 2-2.5 weekly. She even out weighs all but 1 of the males in her litter. I just dont want you to think that's the only food that will get you good results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so I got her to poop outside tonight at 9 pm after not going all day

Take her inside and she poops again at 9:45. What...the...****? This is so bizarre

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pepps does that too after too many training treats (and pup [email protected] starbucks. I know I shouldn't but she loves them SO much and it's right by her favoriteprt shop) her record is 4 poops in an hour. That was before I caught on though. She absolutely will not poop inside either so it's a pain taking her out over and over. She gets a little aggressive about it too. Rice helps her, i always mix it into her kibble after famiurization/ desantitivity training since thats always fat heavy. The fact that you are already supplementing with rice and this is still happening is why I say its going to get worse. Try mixing in a less dense puppy food and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I gave her only rice and chicken for 2 days and it didn't help
If she has parasites it would not. So you need to get that tested by a vet. If she's sensitive to chicken (a common issue for dogs) it would also not help, hence people telling you to try a different dog food with different ingredients. I feel like you are ignoring the most basic possible solutions here. Do you WANT your dog to be ill?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.