Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am in great need of advice...hopefully someone out there has some experience and can relate to what's going on here. Our puppy was playing with my neighbor's 75 pound boxer when he stepped on her left hind leg by accident and fractured it. Thankfully is was only a hairline fracture but it did crack the bone end to end. We went to the vet and immediately had a splint placed on the leg and we were told to come back in a week for a change of splint. I did just that. But the doctor placed the new splint on incorrectly but I didn't discover until the next day. So, I had to go back in and get the splint redone by another doctor. This doctor told me she noticed ginger's leg was starting to hyperextend (the joint no longer bending) due to the lack of exercise from the splint. And she resplinted the leg and told me to come back in exactly 1 week because of her hyperextended leg. I was told no more. I went back in for a change of splint almost 2 weeks later b/c the first doctor, who had been seeing ginger all along, told me to come back in two weeks for an X-ray, so, I listened to her instead of the doctor who resplinted the leg and noticed the hyperextension. I should have listened to the latter doctor b/c now she's got her splint off with a perfectly healed bone but now has a could-be permanent hyperextended leg due to the splint being on too long! I can't believe this happened and I am in tears all day! Especially when I see her walking around...she struggles to use the leg because she has no control over the bend of her joints now. Anybody out there have any experience in this area?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No experience, but it would seem that physical therapy would be an option. Have you discussed it with your vet?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts