Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month labradoodle who has been potty trianed, but yesterday and today he decided to poop in the house. Usually he will bark and let us know. But yesterday and today there was no barking. Today I took him out to do his stuff, he peed and was busy pulling out the grass, I waited for around 12 mins( usually he does poo in this time if he has to ) but he dint so we came back home. He was settling to take a nap. ( usually he poops after his nap), after around 10 mins I went to the other room and retuned to him just finishing his pooping.

So confused as to what's happening, any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
498 Posts
At 4 months of age he's not old enough to be considered reliably potty trained. Don't assume he will be able to let you know in time (or at all) and continue to keep him under constant surveillance (no unattended free roaming in the house) and take him out on a regular schedule. If you know it's a time when he 'usually' poops, but didn't during an outing (puppies can get distracted & forget what they were supposed to be doing) go back inside, watch or confine him, then go back out in about 5 minutes or so & let him try again.

Do continue to offer high value treats for each & every successful potty trip outside. You are still building in him the habit that going out there, rather in the house, is the BEST thing in the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 4 months of age he's not old enough to be considered reliably potty trained. Don't assume he will be able to let you know in time (or at all) and continue to keep him under constant surveillance (no unattended free roaming in the house) and take him out on a regular schedule. If you know it's a time when he 'usually' poops, but didn't during an outing (puppies can get distracted & forget what they were supposed to be doing) go back inside, watch or confine him, then go back out in about 5 minutes or so & let him try again.

Do continue to offer high value treats for each & every successful potty trip outside. You are still building in him the habit that going out there, rather in the house, is the BEST thing in the world.

My confusion comes here - he has his meal, goes to pee, takes a nap, goes to pee n poop. But yesterday it was right after the meal which is not his time. So now i dont know should i crate him during this time ? in this way i feel he will be in the crate all day unless he continues fixed times :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is there any way you could just keep him in the same room with you so you would be able to notice that he was restless instead of settling in for a nice nap?

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
Some dogs will never, ever alert you that they need to go out - even if they are completely house-trained and would never toilet in the house.

We have one dog that will stomp her feet, snort and then bark at us when she wants to go out. Our other dog will follow her out, but would never dream of "inconveniencing us" by barking, scratching at the door or otherwise alerting us. We know his eating and toileting schedule and act accordingly.

I've had dogs that were bell-trained and I hated it. They would ring the bell any time they wanted attention. That was usually when we were eating, on the phone, showering or otherwise occupied. Maybe 25% of the time, they actually needed to go outside.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yup, at four months dogs are still experiencing a lot of physical and mental/neurological changes as they develop, so it's not at all uncommon to see regression in potty training or a change in potty behavior. If it's extreme or the poop itself is concerning, of course consider calling a vet (eg explosive diarrhea, persistent sloppy stools, lots of straining with no or very little poop, blood, worms, etc), but if it's just a regular poop that caught them off-guard at an unexpected moment... happens to the best of us, lol. Or he might've gotten distracted by something when he was out and completely forgot to go - another frequent puppy problem.

Keep up reinforcing pottying outside with treats and praise. Don't punish accidents, and try to avoid even acting frustrated or upset when they happen - if you catch them in the act, rush them out and praise when they finish, then clean up the mess without fuss, and if you don't catch them, just take note of when it happened and clean it up. If you're anticipating a poop (or pee) and they don't go, either pop them into a crate/pen for 5-10 minutes and try again, or watch them like a hawk and try again in a few minutes (tethering them to you can help).

What helped me was actually physically writing down when accidents were happening, so I had a better idea of the circumstances where I had to be super vigilant with my puppy, and when he was probably fine to wander the apartment without my constant attention. For us things like weather mattered, because he wasn't as keen on pottying outside when it was really grossly wet and chilly, so we had more accidents on rainy days until we really got on him about frequent trips and keeping him in the pen if he hadn't emptied recently enough to be 'safe'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any way you could just keep him in the same room with you so you would be able to notice that he was restless instead of settling in for a nice nap?
He is usually in the same room, this happened when i stepped out to grab some water from the kitchen. :(.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it was my mistake that I trusted him not to poo or pee inside coz hes not had any accidently for nearly a month now( that was because i dint trust him n was very vigilant), so i got relaxed. I think i'm going to be extra vigilant :)
Thanks all of you for ur support

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, that happens a lot. Things are going so well we start to slack off a bit and.... Oops! Extra vigilant at this age is good. Keep it up and before too long you can start to ease up again when he's a bit older & has more physical control. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts