Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering some advise, I am a big dog lover, I have 2 dogs right now a male and a female, My female is a bit tempermetal but my male is awesome, they are great together, I really want to add a 3rd dog to my home, I have the room, and means to take care of them, most people say I am crazy however I dont see it that way, I just love animals but I do know my limits... what do you think? both my dogs are obedient trained, they both have their CGC one is 3.5 the other is 2..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't work and I have 2 kids at home, I have plenty of time to work with my dogs, my two I have are rottweilers, I remember when I got them everyone said "be prepared for energetic dogs" Lol well they havent met mine then, but I do make sure they are exercised and they each have their own quality time.

When I got my male it took about 3 months before i introduced him to my female outside of the kennel(inside and outside kennel) my trainer always said it was me being paranoid.. but now I know how to do things differently, the 2 of them are inseperable. Some say it may change the attitudes of both dogs, but I dont think so, my trainer doesnt think so either. the pup I was looking at is an 8week old German Shepherd..

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I say go for it...the one thing I would do is have the dogs meet in a neutral place before you bring a new one home and be sure they all get along. I personally didn't like having an odd number though, so I ended up with four. :p

·
Registered
760 Posts
I work so does my SO and we have a baby on the way we have 5 dogs that all get excercise and plenty of attention I say if you can handle it do it!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree with SheltieMom; you should go for it!
You seem to have a wonderful home for dogs since you are around a lot. A cute 8 week old German Shep baby sounds like a great addition to the two Rotties.

I don't have three dogs of my own, just two a male and female, but they have gotten along great with all my fosters! So I think 3 wouldn't be a problem for your household. :) Good luck and post pics when you get your baby.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Considering you obviously know what having dogs is all about, and you have the means and the time - go for it! If you really love the large breeds, may I suggest a retired racing greyhound? Most of them get along famously with other large breeds since they're raised in the company of loads of other hounds. They're very well socialized at the track, and my grey is always excited to meet a new dog. Mine is even small dog and cat safe. Plus, they're very low maintenance so you'll get to have a 3rd dog with the work of only like 1/2 an extra dog! LOL. Best wishes no matter what you decide. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hahaha, I have 6 big guys (and girls) at home. I'm definitely the wrong person to ask if you should get another dog. I'll lead you astray. :p
The only challenge I have is buying food for all them. Well, it's not really a challenge but it sure doesn't leave much $$$ for me to spend on myself. :rolleyes:

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Banned
617 Posts
If you have the means and patients go for it. At first it will change things up a bit with the household dynamics. Once the new member is settled things will calm down and go back to normal.

I love going to a park walking all three of my dogs with no problems and getting the comments from people that cant walk one. My dogs are show offs :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys thanks for the Advise, I am planning on getting another dog. The Male rottweiler I own now was bred to be a show dog, however I do not know the first thing about showing, so he has just been an obedient pet.. He is highly intelligent received his CGC at 7 months and is beautiful, well my breeder is going to look at him in a few weeks when she gets back from vacation to see if he has any faults that would not make him breedable, then if all is a go he will get his testing for OFA *fingers crossed all is good* I think even if I dont see her before he is 2 on July 10 I will do the OFA testing anyhow.

Anyways back to the dog issue, she just had a liter of 12 YES 12 puppies, since we have been in contact for 8 years she is giving me one of her males, I will have to pay but the price she is charging me is more like her giving him to me... they are now 3 weeks old so I will have to wait 5-6 weeks... Im excited because I know the pups she produces and they are remarkable I will add pics of my babies in a second

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my oldest Daughter and her two bodyguards Cash is on the left if I remember the pic correctly

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Bare in mind I am always a little objective in my replys, and some posters will not respond to me any more:eek: If the truth, hurts so be it................

Many posters have already said if you have the means, not only now but down the road? because many dogs are being dumped at the door steps of the HS because they cannot afford to feed them due the present economy, and you are talking big eaters.

Some other thoughts, when you have two dogs like I have and they sound alot like yours, adding a third dog just may be a chance it may not work out at all, and make backup plans if this happens, what will you do with the pup. I also understand from Elana, GS, really want alot of inter action with thier human partner and need to be challenged.

I thought about a third dog but because they, the two I have, are so close I feel there will be a problem with the addition, you just may be lucky and it all works out!?

I feel I only have two hand and I can pet two dogs at the same time, what is the third going to do, wait his turn?:)

One last thing, it happened the other night, I always walk without shoes in the house, I just feel comfortable that way, but never thought it has another benefit, I was walking into a smi darken room when I almost stepped on my little girl, but felt her with my bare foot lol, you just never know where they will lay down, and I wear steel toed boots. So after all this, if you get the pup, and I feel you will, go bare foot in the house:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completly understand what you mean by things not working out, I am not an expert but I have been involved in training dogs for 6 years, and let me just say that Gypsy my female was a handful, when it came to people and other pets, she is 110% different. But the answer to your question is if anything happened and I could not keep my dogs my breeder would take them back, but Im not worried about that by anymeans...

·
Banned
617 Posts
I feel I only have two hand and I can pet two dogs at the same time, what is the third going to do, wait his turn?:)
Actually yes, they do wait for their turn. I have three dogs and have two hands. Only one dog at a time gets my attention when I pet them.
For example when I get home. They are all excited to see me. I pay them no attention until I put my things away and settle down. Once that is done the first one to sit after I give them a signal wins. Funny thing is it's usually the same one that wins, one goes away until I call her, the other waits for me to finish with the first one.
No mater what they all get about the same petting time and attention but they seemed to have figured out which order they will be in. No pushing, shoving, yelling, or fighting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I missed that comment about a 3rd waiting his turn, I at times pet both my dogs at the same time, and of course for photos, however when my children are interacting with the dogs they each have their own time. People say dogs are not capable of being jealous, IMO that is false, for example: a few weeks ago my female was laying on the floor on her back and my daughter was rubbing her belly, then my male had the indication he could push his way in and get in the middle, WRONG, she let out a growl and a snap towards him.. it was her time not his, I hate to say it but same goes with my kids, I cant do things with my 11yr old that I do with my 8 yr old.

No matter if you have 2 or 5 dogs each one needs their own special time, walks, training, etc.. a break from the other dog.. Just as I need a break from kids and HUSBAND at times LoL... And when my dogs push for my attention they do not get it, they get my attention when I decide to give it to them, not the other way around...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Since you are knowledgeable about dogs and love them, you won't hear any objections to getting more around here. ;) I have three, looking to add a fourth. I get the "You want HOW many dogs?" business all the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im excited about getting my puppy he will be ready July 30th I hope everything works out I told my breeder today I wanted one of the males, she has 12 pups and none are spoken for and usally her liters are gone before they are born, or right after.. I will be at her home in a few weeks and I will take pictures of him and post them, my husband wasnt big on having another dog, now that he knows its a rott and where he is coming from he is excited too... I trained both my dogs, and they are very obedient, I should get a job doing it, they both have their CGC and Cash is on his way to be a therapy dog

1 - 18 of 18 Posts