Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is going to be staying with my parents for 3 weeks. They're local so he already has spent a ton of time with them at their house, I have no worries there.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with how to make a smooth transition for him to their house and then back to mine again? I know packing his belongings stresses him out so I try to do that when he's in another room. Would love other input. He's done plenty of visits away but nothing this long.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Try moving some of his stuff over to your parents' place before he gets there. A bed or crate, toys, etc. Stuff that smells like him and might make it feel more like home, basically. Since he's already used to the house and neighborhood, I don't think there's a whole lot else you can do. Moving him back to your place will likely be easy-peasy. One of the nice things about dogs is that they don't have a great grip on the passage of time. My fiancee had to move out of the country over a year ago, and when she came to visit 6 or 7 months later, Sam was super happy to see her and certainly hadn't forgotten her. But when she leaves he only looks for her for a day or two before he settles back into routine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A dog will react to the humans' vibes, so just make sure that all the humans don't stress out. He will take a couple of days to sniff everything at your parents / settle down, but once that happens, he will be a-OK. Just make sure that he has a favorite bed / pillow / rug / crate, where he can settle down and feel safe, even in a new environment.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Don't treat it any differently than any of the shorter visits he's done. Dogs don't have the greats grasp on time so 3 days, 10 day, 3 weeks it won't be that different to them if they are comfortable over there anyways. He'll be super happy to see you come home either way. Don't stress about it too much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
as another member posted dogs are indifferent to time so he should be just fine :) i'd suggest sending him with some of your worn clothes, the smell will be comforting to him. blankets and toys from home too! most dogs are more flexible than we realize and as long as they are in a loving and comfortable setting and getting fed then they'll be happy!

my sister runs a dog hotel, you'd be surprised by how long some people leave their pets. but they usually transition well and are, of course, super excited to see their owners again. :) you could always leave your pup at your parent's for a weekend at a time, this will be a good way to get your parents ready and see how your dog behaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts