Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all..

my dogs are fine now, but they are really scared..

I was walking my 2, they were both on leash (of course) and we were in an a park where lots of dog owners walk their dogs.. this golden came (loose) growling, mine are middle size mix breed dogs, they were so scared and started running around me and screaming.. then another off leash golden joined and another rott puppy came..
maybe it was 2-3 minutes until other owners could pull their dogs away, but it felt like hours.. And I just froze.. a leash on each hand, I just tried to keep up with the rotation for them not to be stuck..

The owners just pulled away their dogs, nobody asked if we are OK, one even argued with me when I said she needs to keep her dog on leash.. no apologies.. but this is coming from people who dont even think about their own dogs' safety, so I guess it is too much to expect..

My dogs are already very shy and scared ones, they are rescues from a shelter, I've had them for almost 2.5 years, I really tried to build their confidence, now we are back to square 1, my female is hiding away from me:(

I am sure she will get over this.. but I can't:( I let my dogs down where I should have protected them :(

I have too many what ifs in my mind.. What if I just set them free.. What if there was a child in the scene? (apparently that is the only way to make a case :(( ) if only I could grab something to throw at them.. you get the picture..

What could I have done to protect mine?
I didnt consider getting a multiplier until tonight, maybe I should get one? I lfelt like it is taking away their already little freedom but safety is of course more important:( and a spray on the other hand? I hear vinegar works? I don't like the idea of pepper spray in case I hurt my own dogs..

sorry if I am not making any sense..

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You, by yourself, vs 3 big dogs? You'd be lucky to still have whatever hand you tried to use.

In that situation, I'd be kicking (shoes provide protection) and screaming "bad dog! Go away!" what else can you do in that situation?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sadly people just don't get it. Was this a place where dogs are allowed off leash? I have a golden and he was attacked as a baby. He would never approach another dog in a mean way, he would want to play and that is how most goldens are, but not all. Mine does bark when on a leash in front of our house and most do not approach him because of this, but he is a big baby. In obedience class when I tell him to go play, he don't go far. There is not a lot to be done in this situation, especially since yours are so shy. Maybe prepare the dogs better and get them some socialization so they aren't as afraid??? I'm not 100% sure if any of the dogs would have attacked, but I know I would not have liked being in that situation and would have gotten into an argument with the others too. Don't be too hard on yourself, you were trying to do the right thing by your dogs.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I feel for you. Both of my dogs are small (9.5 lbs and 18lbs). We have been rushed many times by loose medium-to-large dogs -- always in areas with leash laws. A couple of times we were rushed by three or four dogs at once. It's really scary to my dogs. I work with them to get them okay with other dogs at a distance, but it seems that every time we're to the point where they can pass a dog on the other side of the street without barking and growling, some loose dog will rush them and set them so far back that they start reacting to a dog a block away again.

In the cases where one dog rushes yours, you should get in front of your dogs and yell at it to back off. Who cares if it upsets the owner? They're the one at fault for not obeying leash laws. When there are multiple dogs, though, it's a lot harder. They usually tend to surround you. I don't think that a spray would help there. A cattle prod might; I know some people on this forum carry those. Also, my papillon's breeder has a really cool telescoping walking stick (she got it at Wal-Mart, I believe, but I'm sure you can find similar ones elsewhere). It's short and light enough to easily carry in a deep pocket or on a belt, but telescopes out to normal walking stick length and is strong. Most dogs back off if you wave something like that at them like you're going to hit them.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Not to rain on this, I understand it's frightening when you're approached by strange, unfriendly dogs, but I must've missed the part where you three were attacked. Seems more like you were approached, no attacking was involved at all.

That said, I've found that telling them to back off in a low voice tends to work. I tend to lower my posture and my voice. A raised voice may excite them. I also find that yelling out something along the lines of "Get your dogs or they will be injured" tends to get owners to the scene a litter quicker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HH, it was a full blown attack, there was blood..
a calm voice would get lost in the screams and growls and barks.. the other owners were yelling at their dogs to come over/stop.. they acted quickly already, but they had no control over their own dogs..
I wouldn't be so shaken for an unfriendly approaching dog..

·
Registered
11 Posts
We were walking our dog yesterday when we saw a couple of people sitting around with what looked like a Rottweiler. The rottweiler had no leash on and so it started charging at our dog and our dog tried to hide behind the person with her leash. The Rottweiler's owners ofcourse grabbed the rottweiler by the collar and we continued our walk. It sounds like they can't really manage their dog. I mean, a Rottweiler is a fighting dog. Why are they not banned in the UK?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If you are still concerned, I believe that an airhorn is the most effective weapon. As HollowHeaven suggested, A raised voice may excite them. An a loud whistle might work if you can maintain control... But an airhorn, like they use at football games will get everyone's attention, and will startle most dogs. ... And, if a rude owner argues with you, you can drown them out, too... especially if there was blood ... which I believe is grounds for a civil suit and a label as a vicious dog in many states.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I situations like that. there isnt much to do sadly. Ive been in this situation a few times. the best \i have been able to do is to kick at those dogs and tell them to leave

I mean, a Rottweiler is a fighting dog. Why are they not banned in the UK?
where has a rottie been bred to be a fighting dog?
Pure ignorence eh?

GSDs are agressive too arnt they. I mean they are police dogs and guard dogs ......;) lets ban them too....

·
Registered
17,917 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
An honest to God pit bull charge my husband and our 1 year old dog, Sacha. She ran behind my husband, and my husband picked up a stick and held it up which sent the dog scurrying. DH said he never even saw the dog coming, just knew that Sacha never runs behind him so it must have been scary.

He has a tremendous amount of experience with all kinds of animals- grew up on a farm- but IDK what he would even do versus 3 dogs.

I'm really sorry about your dogs, I hope their injuries are very minor and that your bitch recovers fully and quickly.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
HH, it was a full blown attack, there was blood..
a calm voice would get lost in the screams and growls and barks.. the other owners were yelling at their dogs to come over/stop.. they acted quickly already, but they had no control over their own dogs..
I wouldn't be so shaken for an unfriendly approaching dog..

Well, your original post didn't say anything about there being an actual attack, just growling. That, or I missed it. So that's what my advice was centered around.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Teach your dogs to get behind you. A couple of things you can do: carry Spray Shield http://www.smarthome.com/6202/Spray-Shield-Animal-Deterrent-Spray/p.aspx which I've seen carried at Petsmart. It is a citronella spray - less dangerous than pepper spray or mace. If it blows back on you, no big deal. It will stop most dogs from approaching. Might not stop a dog who is way over threshold, but just for rude curious dogs it is a good choice. You can also carry a quick release umbrella (one that pops open when you press a button) and insert the open umbrella between the approaching dogs and you and your crew (this is where a good "get behind" will come in handy.) Thirdly, it will be much easier for your dogs to bounce back from this if you are able to put it behind you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mean, a Rottweiler is a fighting dog. Why are they not banned in the UK?
I do not believe in banning breeds since they are not usually the problem it's the people who breed and/or own them. I think Rotti's are beautiful animals however I have never looked at a Rotti the same way after my brother-in-law's 4 year old niece was killed by one. Her Dad wasn't taking proper care in his supervision of child and dog. Apparently, if eye contact at the same level is made they will perceive it as a threat, in this case the innocent child was the threat, we take peace in the knowledge that she didn't suffer.

No. Rotts are cattle drovers and cart dogs.
They are a strong breed to be used in these work conditions.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I do not believe in banning breeds since they are not usually the problem it's the people who breed and/or own them. I think Rotti's are beautiful animals however I have never looked at a Rotti the same way after my brother-in-law's 4 year old niece was killed by one. Her Dad wasn't taking proper care in his supervision of child and dog and the dog grabbed the child by the throat. Apparently, if eye contact at the same level is made they will perceive it as a threat, in this case the innocent child was the threat.

They are a strong breed to be used in these work conditions.
I am flat out afraid of a couple of breeds of dogs, thanks to really... painful experiences as an older kid/teenager. I think that sort of individual bias is something no one here is going to object to. It's more reaction to what happens when people start applying their fears and biases to the rights of other people to own those dogs. If that makes sense? Like you said 'don't believe in banning breeds' is what it comes down to. There are a LOT of powerful dogs out there, and you can't ban them all. (Ie: I agree with you - while still personally not going out of my way to interact with cockers or german shepherds.)

and I am VERY sorry for the loss of your family member. That's... terrifying and heartbreaking.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
For the OP: you said you were in a park; is this a true dog park or a human park? I hope you and the dogs are better today.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts