Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two dogs at the moment a five year old Cockapoo and a 9 month old Shih Tzu. The puppy loves to rough house with the Cockapoo, but she can only take so much and she is done. We were flirting with the idea of maybe getting another Shih Tzu to accommodate the puppy and give our old girl a break. We just love the Shih Tzu, I would have ten of them if I could. So from the title, is 3 dogs to many? I would like to hear from the multiple dog owners.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I have three and they all live happily, well most of the time. Don't get a dog just for the other dog,though. My dogs ages are gaped mae is 8 Tank is 7(got him a few years after Mae though) and Bentley is 2. I like that gap because of training. I got Tank to wear I needed him and he was an adult and won't "forget" his training. Same with Mae when Tank came into the picture. now I have Bentley and am currently working some "kinks" out of him. I would like to have a GSD puppy join the picture but will wait awhile, until I get bentley's "kinks" out and he has more training ect..

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have three dogs. After Leeo passed I got another dog ... but for "me". Leeo would have been ... and his brother Blu Boy are 6 years old this month.

I waited until both Leeo and Blu Boy were 5 years old to add another puppy. Abbylynn was 5 months old when I got her. I taught her not to "pester" the Boy's. You can always train your new one to behave. I used to put Abbylynn in "time-out" for being a pest! Lol! :) She learned to behave fairly fast.

Back to Eddee ... I got him for "myself" to help fill the void in my life because of Leeo not being here. From first hand experience ... having two young puppies together is a lot of work. Sometimes triple the work. I raised Leeo and Blu Boy together ... as they are siblings from the same litter. It was three times the work and not to mention monetary issues as food, toys, beds, vets ...... all very expensive ... especially if there is a medical emergency. :(

Just an example and something for you to ponder before making a decision. Your 9 month old is still just a baby. It is possible your idea could backfire too! Both the pups may decide to pester the older one?

Good luck whatever you choose to do. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I want 40 beagles (this is something of a joke, don't worry), so I can't judge 10 shih tzus. Just make sure the second shih tzu is for you, not for the first. They may end up not liking each other or even fighting and having to be separated at all times. If you get the third for the second, that's going to suck.

Otherwise, just consider the additional time and expense and decide what you can do.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We have five dogs and they all live extremely peacefully with one another. We get compliments about that all the time. I swear to god sometimes my little five pound papillion sleeps *on top* of the GSD. It's really cute.

Honestly it depends on whether or not /you/ can handle three dog and if your ready for it. I might wait for the puppy to be a little bit more grown up just because raising two puppies is a huge load of work, at least to do it correctly.

·
Registered
569 Posts
In my mind, it really depends on the situation. In some cases, one can be too many, in others, a family can handle many more than three.

The first thing I'd do in your situation is check into your local ordinances. It's possible you can only have two dogs. For me, it's three, and that's the number I am currently at. However, I have had up to five at one time, and did fine.

The biggest thing to question is this: can you afford routine (and plan for non-routine) vet care, dog food, toys, and other incidentals, as well as the purchase price of the next dog, you can consider this. If you can do all that, and are sure you can provide training and attention for all, I say go for it!

Like I said, I have had up to five. Three works best for us, but we will soon be back up to four. It's doable, but not always easy. The thing for me, we have big dogs, so fitting them all in one vehicle is not gonna happen, unless we buy a full-sized van (killer on gas mileage, though). Smaller dogs are easier to handle in that sense, though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It depends on whether or not you can afford it financially or will have enough time.
If you do, go for it!
I wouldn't, however, get a third dog just as a playmate for one that you have already. My friend did that and she ended up with 2 crazy dogs and double the trouble she had with the the first one!
Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello is about 5, Miggy is about 2, and we rescued him in May; Miggy has helped Donatello come out of his shell a lot. He used to act like a grumpy-old-fart, but having Miggy around has helped him loosen up quite a bit.

However, that being said- I have seen multiple households get multiple puppies, and it backfire quickly; You have to keep in mind the *NEW* puppy won't come trained, and it's not just going to live to keep the other puppy company 24/7. I think timing is everything; Donatello had been trained, and so getting Miggy wasn't something that would become overwhelming.

We got Miggy as part of a playmate for Donatello; But we weighed all the other outcomes before rescuing to ensure we could handle another dog altogether.

·
Registered
41 Posts
do YOU want another dog to care for (the extra time, extra training)? Time to give all three some love and individual attention? Training x2 (two dogs under 1 needing training). Are you ok with the extra cost of another dog?

I would not get another dog just to give the puppy a play mate. it would be cheaper to set up play dates with other puppies or even doggy day care or some other venue to give him more play time. Two puppies is more than twice the work, your little guy is still very much a puppy.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've had up to 4 dogs at a time, but prefer having 2. Remember that puppies are very self-centered, just like small skin kids. It's all about them, and they demand a lot of your attention! I'd wait until your puppy is just a little older, more independent, and better trained. The cockapoo really isn't old at 5. The puppy will start calming down eventually, and then their energy levels will be more compatible. I fostered my MIL's cockapoo at age 7, and she was a fetch machine and adored going for walks.

As others have already said, take into account the costs associated with adding another dog - food, vetting, monthly meds, etc.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
For years I had 3, never went over that. Then a situation came up and I added a fourth. I was worried at first because I know just one more can make a difference. As time went on I ended up with 7. I was stressed at first because it is an adjustment, a BIG adjustment.
That was years ago. I currently have 8, have been up to 10. We have the space, money is always tight but it's there. I've long since adjusted to having so many and we, my husband and I, are happy with it. I doubt we'll ever get below 5, if even that low, anywhere in the foreseeable future. The dogs are like our kids and we do find them so entertaining. They keep us laughing all the time. What better way to live life, huh?

BTW, we live on a rescue ranch where there are actually nearly 80 dogs, not including our own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies! I really have to say that the dog will be for all of us. There is not enough of this new puppy to go around. I really never thought I could love a dog as much as I do with our little pup. This is the greatest dog ever, she has been a great addition to our family. Like I said in my post, we would still like to get her a friend to grow up with. I think we are all in agreement and we are going to get a pup!! Cost is certainly an issue, but you just make it happen.

Here is a pic of the pup with her friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Donatello is about 5, Miggy is about 2, and we rescued him in May; Miggy has helped Donatello come out of his shell a lot. He used to act like a grumpy-old-fart, but having Miggy around has helped him loosen up quite a bit.

However, that being said- I have seen multiple households get multiple puppies, and it backfire quickly; You have to keep in mind the *NEW* puppy won't come trained, and it's not just going to live to keep the other puppy company 24/7. I think timing is everything; Donatello had been trained, and so getting Miggy wasn't something that would become overwhelming.
I have had dogs my whole life, I just never had three at once. Considering they are small and well tempered, I don't see a problem adding a new little guy. I am not getting a baby sitter for the puppy, I would just like to get her a playmate on her level. As I said from my last post, this dog will be a "family dog" and it will receive more attention that it could ever imagine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts