Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving home for Thanksgiving in a few weeks with my 4 mo English Pointer puppy. We will be in the car for 8 hours each day. She is a pretty high energy dog but usually does fine in the car but most car rides are 30 minutes or less. We have done an hour long drive a few times and she was fine. She sometimes has a problem because she gets bored very easily and dislikes playing with toys unless someone is playing with her, so turns to chewing on the car. What can I do to prevent boredom? She will chew on cows ears, bully sticks and other animal parts in the car but I don't give her more than one a day and it usually only takes her an hour or two to finish one. I've thought about giving her kongs stuffed with her kibble and frozen but am not sure if that will just mean kibble all over my car (we buckle her up in the back seat of my sedan). She has never been car sick, even on the 10 hour drive home from picking her up at the breeder's house, so I've not been concerned with that. I plan to stop at dog parks and State/National parks along the way to let her get some energy out, but there is the possibility that a park might not work out due to other dogs that might not get along with her. I have a hard time tiring her out as she gets bored with games with me long before she runs out of energy. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I travel regularly for training and competition and often for hours long drives. My current IPO 3 dog was driven home straight through from KY to NY when she was 9 weeks old. I am just letting you know I have experience traveling with dogs of all ages on long road trips.

My dogs are always crated for long road trips. Always. It is much much safer for all concerned. I use plastic dog crates (though at some point I will spring for an aluminum crate with a lock). Wire crates come apart and can impale dog (or people) so I no longer use those for car travel.

With a car and with a puppy I put the crate in the back seat and I put a raw frozen meaty bone in with the puppy. Other options are Kong's stuffed with Peanut butter or Yogurt (frozen of course). I use a small stainless steel pail with a hook and bail on it for watering (but do not have water in it when the car is in motion). I stop every two hours with a young puppy to get them out to pee/poop. Yours is 4 months old, so a four hour trip should be fine.

A loose dog in a car, especially a dog searching for hidden food, is an accident waiting to happen. YES. I have allowed my dog to ride "shot gun" in my Pick Up truck not in a crate for short rides but usually not. It is simply not safe for either of us if something should go wrong.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When I travel long distances with my dogs I plan for potty breaks and have to wake the dogs up. If she's fine for 1/2 hour she's probably fine just stopping when you need a break. This includes hyperactive Bucky and a Jack Russell Terrier that was just as active.

Agree completely. If you can possibly squeeze a crate in do so. My 4 door 1986 Honda Accord could hold an intermediate plastic crate sideways. The JRT couldn't use a harness, he would wind up into a pretzel even if in a bed on the floor or the mini van. Crates win.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts