Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , I could really use some pointers. I got a bichon who is 3 1/2 months old. I am out of work until June so He will be about 4 1/2 months when I go back. He is fine at night using the crate and sleeps through the night. I am trying to get him used to being alone during the day for when I go back. I tried the crate for an hour and he pooped in it and it was everywhere. I bring him out before he goes in. I also tried using a spare empty bedroom that we have and he has his crate with the door open , food water toys and puppy pads. He pooped everywhere , walked in it , got it all we the walls when he was scratching .. it just nervous that when I start to leave him he will do it and I will be gone for 8 hours. I can have a walker come 2x a day, but that still won’t stop him from pooping when he is nervous. Any ideas??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a dog day care close that takes puppies to where you are? Sounds to me he isn't ready yet to be alone.
j

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Are you positive he poops before you put him in the crate?

If you know he poops before you leave, try feeding him earlier in the morning before you leave. As soon as you get up, feed the pup. Then, shortly before you have to leave, take hime out for a last potty break. That way his system has time to move his breakfast through.

It's also possible that he can't physically hold it yet no matter what you do, and in that case many people who have work will employ a crate attached to an exercise pen, and the exercise pen has puppy pads inside it so they have an appropriate place to relieve themselves if they have to.

This crate/exercise pen setup might delay potty training a bit, but when you have a young dog that can't hold it and you have to work, there aren't many other options other than call in a dog walker! It is not forever, just until the pup's body and mind mature and they can hold it for a work day. It's important that when you are home, you work very hard on potty training so they can quickly catch up. One day you might notice that the potty pads are completely dry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about getting a pet camera? You can talk to him and get him a treat when you are far away. I have a Wopet pet camera, I can check his status when I at work and get alert when he barks and I can use the app to talk to him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts