Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Lola, my 2 year old chiwawa is getting 2 of her baby teeth pulled out that have not fallen out.

What should i expect? Is the procedure safe? Is it best if I only feed her once in the evening today and then nothing until tomorrow? I have to be with her at the vet by 8.30am.

Anyone else had this procedure? I'm a little worried about the anaesthesia :flypig:

·
Registered
294 Posts
OMG! We are in the same boat!

I am taking Truffles in tomorrow to have his retained baby teeth removed and two incisors. His mouth is too small and they are crowding. ): I have to drop him off at 7:30am and I should be able to pick him up by 3 or earlier.

I am super worried, but anesthesia is very safe and I'm sure our little ones will do fine! What's important is that these teeth have to come out and we are doing whats best for them! When you pick her up, she's going to be super drowsy and sore. Make sure you follow the instructions your vet will give you about after care. Also, make sure you stay on top of her pain meds. You don't want her to be in any discomfort!

For the rest of the night, she's pretty much going to want to sleep and the next day she will probably be a bit more normal, but still sore. Try to just comfort her and rest with her. That's my plan! After a few days she should be back to her normal self! :)

Let me know how it goes!!! We can go through this together!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG! We are in the same boat!

I am taking Truffles in tomorrow to have his retained baby teeth removed and two incisors. His mouth is too small and they are crowding. ): I have to drop him off at 7:30am and I should be able to pick him up by 3 or earlier.

I am super worried, but anesthesia is very safe and I'm sure our little ones will do fine! What's important is that these teeth have to come out and we are doing whats best for them! When you pick her up, she's going to be super drowsy and sore. Make sure you follow the instructions your vet will give you about after care. Also, make sure you stay on top of her pain meds. You don't want her to be in any discomfort!

For the rest of the night, she's pretty much going to want to sleep and the next day she will probably be a bit more normal, but still sore. Try to just comfort her and rest with her. That's my plan! After a few days she should be back to her normal self! :)

Let me know how it goes!!! We can go through this together!
Aw blessss, his so cute look at his big ears, aww.
Thats made me feel better, at least I'm not alone :D Let me know how he does, i was told i could pick her up 3 onwards too :D

Your dog is so pretty, can i ask, does he shed a lot of hair? I'm thinking of breeding my little one when she gets her heat next year, i want to breed her with a dog that doesn't shed so much hair, the Papillon breed looks perfect, although i read the male dog has to be smaller than the female when breeding??

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you want a low-shedding dog, just get one of the ten zillion low-shedding dogs already out there, don't breed a bunch of maybe-maybe-not puppies out of your high-shedding Chihuahua.

Personally, I wouldn't breed a dog that had congenital dental problems at all. No matter how lovely a dog is, if it's requiring surgery at a young age for something other than a freak accident, it's not a candidate for breeding, IMO.

(Also, seriously, it's Chihuahua.)

I hope the surgery goes well. Anesthesia always carries some risk but it's come a long way in recent years, and this isn't an emergency procedure, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Papillons shed. Mixing chihuahua with papillon will result in puppies that shed. Like parus said, if you want a low-shedding dog, you can rescue one or get one from a good breeder. There's no reason to bring more puppies into the world when they have a very good chance of having dental issues AND shedding just as much as your current dog. Look into breeds with single, continuously-growing coats, like yorkshire terriers or maltese.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts