Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sister and her bf each have a dog (mini-dachshund) that are brothers, both just shy of 1 year old. They have always got along great and love playing together. Boyfriend just moved into the house, and so along came the dog. Since he has been here the 2 dogs still get along great but our dog (the dog originally in the house) has let go of all potty training. When the other dog is gone he is fine he goes to the door and lets us know, different story when they are together. We have gone back to keeping our dog in his crate at night and when we leave the house. I know its a shock to his system and rocking his world but its not like he hasn't spent days with brother dog in the past. He always was a little bad when they were together as far as potty training goes, but its getting annoying quick. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If he was previously housetrained and is now having accidents, a vet visit is in order. Dogs can get urinary tract infections.

Otherwise, it sounds like maybe he just gets too caught up in playing and doesn't pay attention to having to go and then has an accident. You see this with small children sometimes, too. Just go back to potty training 101, out every 2 hours, praise for going outside, clean up accidents with an enzymatic cleaner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've read somewhere that dogs and cats do things like that to make a statement to say that they don't approve of the change.
I would recommend some private time with him if you can, it might help the adjustment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If he was previously housetrained and is now having accidents, a vet visit is in order. Dogs can get urinary tract infections.

Otherwise, it sounds like maybe he just gets too caught up in playing and doesn't pay attention to having to go and then has an accident. You see this with small children sometimes, too. Just go back to potty training 101, out every 2 hours, praise for going outside, clean up accidents with an enzymatic cleaner.
I agree with this, dogs do not generilze to good so the intro of the new dog has changed everything so retrain everything the dog has learned from sits, downs, stay yes and even potty training. Dogs do not generilze to good so we always have to train one behavior/action in every possible situation sit means sit everywhere. Do not potty in house no matter who is here or what house where in.

You also mentioned your dog usually goes by the door to let you know he/she has to go. Next time when you have time and you think your dog has to go check for any signs that your dog is making to get to door and warn you and the other dog is taking the space "not letting yours get to door". many multi dog households have problems by door "going out /in" or guest coming in or out they all want to rush and go first. Just thinking this is new to them maybe new dog is blocking yours from getting to door "just possible scenerio"

·
Registered
703 Posts
There could also be some Littermate Syndrome (AKA Sibling Syndrome) going on, although it sounds pretty mild in your case.

We've had to deal with this- our dogs are just turning 1yo and I just became aware that this might be the problem in the last month. We've made fabulous strides. One dog, who was underweight, came to normal weight within 2 weeks.

http://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/littermate-syndrome/

·
Registered
76 Posts
There could also be some Littermate Syndrome (AKA Sibling Syndrome) going on, although it sounds pretty mild in your case.

We've had to deal with this- our dogs are just turning 1yo and I just became aware that this might be the problem in the last month. We've made fabulous strides. One dog, who was underweight, came to normal weight within 2 weeks.

http://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/littermate-syndrome/

"awesome article" For the poster please take way from this article the last paragraph and for all multi dog households. We must train the dogs seperate, walk them seperatly on occasions, and seperate them also on occasions, as in puppies in article and even multi dog households as they become to attached to each other and can never be seperated and rely on each others bond not the human "handler" which will be bad for training.

Multi dog households are very different- just a small thought a small booklet from Patricia B. McConnel called "Feeling Outnumbered" take a read if you have time awesome booklet on multidog households.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Small booklet from Patricia B. McConnel called "Feeling Outnumbered" take a read if you have time awesome booklet on multidog households.
This is now available for about $6-$7 as an ebook on her website...I hope to read it this weekend!:rockon:

Especially since my husband has been saying he wants a third dog. (eek!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is now available for about $6-$7 as an ebook on her website...I hope to read it this weekend!:rockon:

Cool multi dog households can be fustrating if we "humans" do not learn how dogs think and learn.This booklet is an awesome crash course and gives so many great tips and how to deal with many situations with multi dogs in same house or any group :)

such as pushy and demanding dogs, dogs that don't get along, is growling good between two dogs "is it play or fighting", teach all dogs to be polite ETC.. Great booklet enjoy and have fun

·
Registered
472 Posts

This sounds good for me as well. I just became a multi-dog household. And it's just 1 of me and 2 of them. They play constantly (and rather roughly). I've been hit in the nose twice by them zooming around the couch together. And I can't play with one without the other wanting attention as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This sounds good for me as well. I just became a multi-dog household. And it's just 1 of me and 2 of them. They play constantly (and rather roughly). I've been hit in the nose twice by them zooming around the couch together. And I can't play with one without the other wanting attention as well.
Yes this small booklet will be a great help. If you just added another dog most likely there play will consist of long sessions until it gets old "saturate" then it should slow down. As for rough play that will come down to a debate among some people as it is parenting as to how rough to let it get before me interven. Just make sure that the dogs are roll reversing the play "demeanor shift" after a few seconds on chases then they switch. If this is not happening then it's bullying. Also try and learn body language so you can tell if one is giving distance behaviors, appeasement or calming signals.

Start with booklet and have fun remember always reward good behaviors oh want to see again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes this small booklet will be a great help. If you just added another dog most likely there play will consist of long sessions until it gets old "saturate" then it should slow down. As for rough play that will come down to a debate among some people as it is parenting as to how rough to let it get before me interven. Just make sure that the dogs are roll reversing the play "demeanor shift" after a few seconds on chases then they switch. If this is not happening then it's bullying. Also try and learn body language so you can tell if one is giving distance behaviors, appeasement or calming signals.

Start with booklet and have fun remember always reward good behaviors oh want to see again.
Yeah, they're reversing rolls. The older will jump on the younger... then it's the younger jumping on the older. They're both equal opportunity rough and tumblers.

The older one has indicated she wanted distance a few times. Mostly by growling, and then some barking. The younger rolls over to say, "ok, I'm not a threat, I get it." Usually that occurs when the older dog is tired or the younger crowds the older (or is generally being annoying). No big altercations, but I watch them carefully, especially with toys.

There are some issues with resource guarding (on both sides). Right now they're separated when I'm away (puppy is in a pen). When I first gave them both bully sticks, there was a bit of a situation. Now, however, they seemed to have learned to deal with each other. Each wants the other's bully stick, but now they'll wait until the other has dropped the bully stick to grab it rather than trying to make a more aggressive play for it. All this is in my presence, of course. If I were to leave them together while alone at some point, all toys, treats and anything they would find special would be away from their reach.

What they do resource guard that I can't put away is me. They both want me and the older dog can get snippy about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts