Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I have an older dog who is a severe resource guarder (from dogs and people), AND he is dog selective at best. And I have an extremely limited space. I added a second dog this year.

It can be done. But it may be, initially or permanently, a lifestyle where both dogs are sometimes or always separated, and a lifestyle where you need to constantly be aware of where resources and dogs are. My older dog guards everything (smells, spaces, toys, food) except people from other dogs. I will say that I expected separation between my dogs for their entire lives. But my older dog did adapt to the puppy and allows the puppy to do things I never would have imagined. They share toys only when playing tug, spaces, and smells. Food is still grounds for an attack. It has been a breath of fresh air living with two dogs I can now somewhat trust around each other. But I still would NEVER leave them alone unsupervised. My older dog has done damage to other dogs because of this issue. Though even if he hadn't, it isn't worth risking with a resource guarder.

I also know plenty of dogs given up from multidog households because of resource guarding. I think it takes a lot of structure, training, management, and realistic expectations. I use exercise pens and crates constantly. Both dogs are well trained. And even in their successful moments together (which I do celebrate!) I never forget that my older dog will always be a resource guarder. No matter what (and he is going on 12 years now).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts