Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have only just signed up to this forum so would like to introduce my self my names Leigh and i have a 9 month old staffie cross rottweiler called Bruno who is 10 months old he is my everything and my baby i couldnt imagine my life without my Bruno.

I am in need of advice currently me and my other half are looking for a new puppy to rehome for our bruno to have a play mate we have seen this BEAUTIFUL mastiff cross she is a bitch and has been spayed and is 10 months old which is exactly what we are looking for she has lived with a male dog before and when we met her she is the most friendliest tamest pup i have ever met she reminds me of my pup. So this friday we are bringing Bruno over to meet her and to see how they get along with each other. ONLY problem is the owners are saying she has kc paper .. this is obviously a lie as this pup is not full breed and this is a BIG put off for me he is charging 450 for this pup that isnt full breed what do you think?

Are we doing the right thing? will they adjust to each other will it be manic having 2 puppies together? advice please!

·
Registered
97 Posts
As long as you introduce them correctly and keep an eye on them at first, they should get along just fine... Two puppies is definitely going to be a lot more work than one, but as long as you're prepared to spend the time and energy in taking good care of both of them, I don't see why it wouldn't work out. :3

You could always ask the owners to validate the kc papers somehow, or question them about it and see what they say. I've never gotten a dog from a specific individual before, I've always rescued from shelters, so I'm not sure what else to try. Some breeders charge over $1000 for their dogs, regardless of how well they're bred, so 450 doesn't seem TOO bad, but a little higher than your usual 're-homing' fee.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Are you getting a second dog because YOU want a second dog or strictly as a "playmate" for the first?

Generally, getting a second dog as a playmate for the first, especially when both have not yet reached maturity, is a bad idea.
For one, you have breed mixes with strong potential for dog aggression which often appears around full maturity (ages 2-3 years) and you may find yourself with two dogs that hate each other. If either one ends up dog aggressive, you may find yourself in a "crate and rotate" situation for the rest of the dogs lives OR having to rehome one which you probably will have become very attached to. And of course, that kind of ruins the "playmate" factor.

For two, a lot of people think it safer not to leave their dogs home alone together. Especially younger dogs with more energy and more likely to play rough/destroy the house, get into fights or develop bad habits. So if you think the dogs will play and tire each other out during the day, you might find yourself in big trouble.

That said, if you are willing to deal with the potential problems AND want a second dog to spend time with and train etc yourself, then it is worth meeting this dog. I personally wouldn't be paying $450 (US) as a re-homing fee or purchase from a breeder that doesn't sound very good quality. I'd probably be willing to pay $100 or so, since the dog is already spayed and presumably has had all her puppy shots.

Oh, and two young dogs are a LOT of work. Each one will need to be exercised and trained separately as well as walking and training them together. The time commitment is huge and you can spend plenty of time just refereeing them in play and around the house too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts