Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost 2 weeks since I brought her home from the breeer and on the very 1st day I brought her home, I noticed how soft her stool was. It didnt concrrn me until the after she started hVing diarrhea. I first suspected any infection with parasite but after vising the vet, I think it's the food that's causing a trouble. The vet said she was healthy ans not sick fromanything so he instrcuted probiotic for me to give her and on the first day her stool was stillsoft but it was betteed. Except for that one day she's doing worse with diarrhea and now it's just rapid liquid with blood. I'm havinga panic attack because I started feeding her a new food from a different brand thinking it wouldnt effect on her condition too much and things would be better. I mean i did reasearch on every puppy food brand out there by looking at the ingredients. What I got her is not even low end product... I don't know what I'm doing wrong to this little angel...it breaks my heart so much and I'm willing to take any advice, so please give me some idea on picking the best puppy food, how to better her diarrhea and blood stool, things I should or should not do.. oh and I'm planning on visiting the vet anytime soon too but your suggestion would help my baby as well. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Go back to the vet asap. I don't think this is something that can be diagnosed on the internet, but it sounds like more than the wrong food to me. Sometimes the first diagnosis is wrong. This could be something as serious as parvo. At 2 months it doesn't take much before dehydration sets in and the puppy dies.
You might also check with the breeder. If it's parvo, the littermates may also be showing the same symptoms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has already done physical exam and the vet said she is fine.
Do you know is parvo can be detected by doing physical exam or is there a specific test for it?
I thought of parvo too but she is so full of energy and appetite ..but you are right on going back to the vet.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I think Parvo is a blood exam.

Something that our last dog had was colitis and it was triggered by beef. I wouldn't automatically assume that food is the culprit especially since your pup is new. As for our last dog she would get bloody diarrhea after eating any food with "beef" in it but not when she ate chicken flavors. I quote beef only because looking back on it I have no clue what she was eating except beef flavors triggered it.

Hopefully the problem is as simple as food but please be proactive in suggesting a blood test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're correct, it's a blood test. I just called the Banfield hospital and scheudled for a visit. I'm thinking of not giving her food today to let her stomach rest and provide only boiled rice water. Any other suggestions please? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
When my last dog was diagnosed with colitis the vet gave her prescription bland food, I believe it was Hills chicken food. She started her on wet for about a week and I remember that I went out after that and bought the store version of Hills chicken flavor food as the prescription was extremely expensive.

I am not endorsing the Hills brand but just saying what was done. If it's nothing serious and is pointing toward the food - too much food, rich food, ingredients or anything else could be the culprit. I fed my dog now what's considered very good food and it gave her the runs, switched out to another very good food and everything is great ... the first food included pork and I didn't know it until I fed a third food that was pork and the problem came back.

As far as feeding your pup - I would imagine that a short stint on boiled rice and maybe boiled chicken would be OK but you have to be aware that feeding this too long to a puppy or any dog may not be wise (I know that you are not saying you're going to do this).

I see that you mentioned probiotics - they can take a while to be effective, in the term of weeks - they are not harmful so I would continue feeding them (you want them to have multiple strains) in case it turns out a simple problem.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Congee is good. The danger is dehydration and if she will take it or you can syringe it into her it should help. Strain out the rice, just feed the water. Flavor it with chicken broth if you like, just keep it zero fat. But get to the vet. Even if this isn't a killer disease like parvo the diarrhea will kill her fast unless you can keep her hydrated.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Fecal sample for a parvo test to rule out. It is a snap test. Fecal sample for a floatation for worm infestation. Most breeders deworm with strongid which doesn't take care of all intestinal parasites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It turns out Nomi is positive to Giardia parasite so she's been taking Panacur with Probiotics.
She's done with prescribed medicine but her diarrhea is not cured at all.
I'm seeing less amount of blood on her stoll but still, her stool is runny and very liquid.
She was also prescribe with wet meat but she refuses to even touch it a bit so I started making my own food for her.
I prepare pumpking, sweet potatoe and rice or chicken broth, rice, carrot and chicken meat.
I feel like she's getting better since I started feeding her this but worried if she'd get so used to it that she wouldn't go back to dry food after she's well.... If you have any receipe to share, please feel free to!
Thank you all so much and have a blessing day!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Giardia is a terrible parasite, hope the medication helps quickly.

What is important is that she is eating and taking in a lot of liquids. Make sure the rice is really mushy so she can digest it. To make it a better food you would at the very least mix in 1/2 measuring teaspoon of powdered eggshell per pound of food. Unless you are feeding about half chicken and half of the other ingredients she isn't going to be getting enough protein, a puppy fighting illness needs a good amount of protein. Sweet potato and carrot are fine foods but not going to add much to its completeness.

When Sassy and Max got a bad fast food hamburger and were sick I cooked up chicken minus the skin with white rice. Probably a whole 5 pound chicken and 2 cups of raw rice with 2-3x the water one ordinarily uses. Cooking the chicken then boning it is easier, there is a lot of bone in chicken so that isn't as much meat as one would think. I'd remove all the fatty skin as well as the bones, sick dogs generally do better with less fat. Sassy needed pumpkin added to finish healing her gut, she was a medium sized dog and I added just 2 ounces to the pound of chicken and rice mush she ate per day. I would have added 1/2 measuring teaspoon of powdered eggshell if I thought this would be for longer than a week. For long term feeding 1 multimineral/vitamin tablet crushed and mixed in per pound of food is good, 1 ounce of beef liver per pound of food is good as well. My raw fed dogs get a MMV tablet crushed and mixed with their food to fill the few gaps between a raw diet and NRC levels of nutrition. It is likely nasty tasting so don't add it to the batch in case she hates the flavor. I grind in a mortar and pestle, easy.

Back then I removed the cooked chicken bits, cooled and boned and chopped in the food processor. Works great but if you have an immersion blender and your dog is fine eating a gravy rather than a stew it saves some mess to put the boned chicken back in the pot and use the immersion blender in the pot. Love that immersion blender!

If you are skinning the chicken then the food is really low fat and she will be happy to eat regular kibble once she is all better. You would mix in a little kibble and keep on adding more kibble and a little less of the cooked food until she is getting mostly kibble and thin out the cooked food as you go so she is mostly getting a little broth. Except that it is a bother wet fresh food is good for dogs. If you wanted to keep it up then change what fresh food you offer from day to day so she doesn't get stuck and won't eat anything but one particular combination.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
It's been almost 2 weeks since I brought her home from the breeer and on the very 1st day I brought her home, I noticed how soft her stool was. It didnt concrrn me until the after she started hVing diarrhea. I first suspected any infection with parasite but after vising the vet, I think it's the food that's causing a trouble. The vet said she was healthy ans not sick fromanything so he instrcuted probiotic for me to give her and on the first day her stool was stillsoft but it was betteed. Except for that one day she's doing worse with diarrhea and now it's just rapid liquid with blood. I'm havinga panic attack because I started feeding her a new food from a different brand thinking it wouldnt effect on her condition too much and things would be better. I mean i did reasearch on every puppy food brand out there by looking at the ingredients. What I got her is not even low end product... I don't know what I'm doing wrong to this little angel...it breaks my heart so much and I'm willing to take any advice, so please give me some idea on picking the best puppy food, how to better her diarrhea and blood stool, things I should or should not do.. oh and I'm planning on visiting the vet anytime soon too but your suggestion would help my baby as well. Thank you in advance
Ahhh Giardia sucks :( my boy got it when he was about 8 months old, and the panacur is terrible for them to take, it tastes horrid and they hate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts