Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today is my 26th birthday, and I almost didn't make it to today. This past Sunday I was in a bicycle accident, I don't really remember what happened exactly but I went over my handlebars I believe, my head broke my fall. I didn't have a helmet on, no one wears helmets, I haven't worn one since I was a little kid. Someone saw it happen and called 911. I was unconscious, came to briefly at some point and didn't know my name, where I lived, where I was, then I was out again. Thankfully I had ID and my cell phone on me so they were able to get a hold of my parents. I think I was out for at least a few hours. I had 3 cat scans and numerous x-rays, and EKG. I do remember one time they were putting me in for a scan and I tried to prevent them from putting me in saying "I can't afford this many of these!", I don't have health insurance. I have a few fractures in my skull, my brain was bleeding in a few places, I have some nasty gashes in my head, left arm and right leg surprisingly nothing else is broken, not even my neck, they thought my knee was for a bit, but its not. Everyone assumed I had been hit by car because my injuries were so bad, but I wasn't. I don't know if I passed out while on the bike or hit like a little hole in the road and went flying or what.

I was in the ER for a bit, they stapled my head closed. Then I was in ICU for a day and a half before just being in the general neurological unit. The first few days I couldn't hold a cup on my own, nor read or write. I still can't walk on my own, but can with help and I can hold a cup and eat on my own (and keep it down). I did not need brain surgery because the bleeding in my brain stopped on its own thankfully. I can obviously communicate now fine, although sometimes I can't remember words i need. They said that might take a few months before I don't have weird memory lapses. 2 to 3 weeks for the nausea and unsteadiness to get better, 6 to 8 weeks for the fractures to heal and up to 3 months until I should be fully back to normal. They took the staples out before I left the hospital so we could rinse all the blood off of me, my hair was all caked to my head, it was nasty (and itchy).

My family went and got all my animals and brought them here to their house that first day. A coworker of mine took Nash as I was afraid he might be so excited to see me after several days he would jump on me and hurt me again. We are going to try and have him come tomorrow or monday. I can't live on my own for at least a few weeks, probably longer though. Nights are pretty awful, lots of puking, but days are getting better. The pressure just builds up in my head from laying down even though I'm propped up with pillows. I will be drugged up on pain killers for awhile. When I first came here from the hospital Lloyd came up to me and spent about 10 minutes sniffing me from head to toe, slowly, carefully, then he came over, put his head on my belly, looking in my eyes and let out a big sigh. He has been glued to me. Even my cats have been checking in with me frequently. I have an appointment with a neurologist 3 weeks from that Sunday and we will see if I am cleared to go home or what. Hopefully I can go back to work that 3rd week, if not I will have to get short term disability. A friend is staying at my apartment so that is helpful.

Moral of the story . . . wear a helmet. I will from now on, as is everyone who knows me.

Sadly my tattoo appointment had to be canceled, I have to wait 3 months, they were cool about it though considering the circumstances and just said to call when i was ready and they would get me in.

Sorry if anything doesn't make sense . . . you know, head injury, drugs . . . but it makes sense to me right now so I'm gonna go with it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear everything you've gone through the past few days, but glad to hear you're 'ok'. Be grateful for those around you and keep your animals close, they know, and they can help keep your spirits bright and they are amazing healers.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
happy birthday :)
Surviving that is a helluva good birthday present. You have someone taking care of you? Almost dying messes with your head (no pun intended) quite a bit; be aware of the signs of PTSD. Sounds dramatic, but I've seen it happen. My husband almost died a year and a half ago. He rolled his jeep and he wasnt wearing his seatbelt. He was thrown and the jeep landed on top of him. Shattered all his ribs and sternum, among other things. It was a very difficult time, needless to say. He started having panic attacks, getting over-emotional, insomnia, depression, anxiety. Not normal behaviour for him at all. He took a few different medications for a few months and that helped tons. Take it very easy and dont push yourself.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I have a wonderful family taking care of me and my pets until I'm ready to go to my places. For the PTSD I actually am already in therapy for other reasons, and on prozac so I'm sure this will be dealt with there. I'm happy I can use the computer now without getting sick, its kinda boring just sitting and sitting and sitting. TV still makes me ill though, I don't normally watch TV but while I am immobile it would help pass the time. Today has actually been a good day, haven't puked once today at all, been able to walk with only holding one arm . . . getting better.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Wow, Mel. I'm so glad it wasn't even more serious...concussions take a LOT out of you so please do NOT rush back into doing anything..no matter how bored or frustrated you get. I too learned my lesson about wearing a helmet (I had always worn one, took it off ONE TIME because I was feeling ornery and damn well nearly killed myself) so I hear ya. They DO save lives.

Happy Birthday, the fact you are still here after this and your other health issues is a pretty damn good gift..but I do hope you get some other stuff too!
Sending good thoughts.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Good lord. What a story. I'm so glad you're on the mend. I saw the notice that it was your b-day today and sent some good thoughts your way this morning. Did not know you needed them so seriously! So sending lots more. Recovery does indeed suck but it's better than the alternative.

A few pick-me-ups from youtube to help pass the time...

·
Registered
891 Posts
As a fellow cyclist, I'm always afraid of a bad accident like this. I hate hearing about others getting so badly hurt. Sending tons of healing energy out to you & best wishes for your recovery. I'm really glad you're going to wear a helmet going forward. :)

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Oh my goodness, that was a TERRIBLE accident you had. As you said, you're lucky to be alive because of your head injuries. Sorry to hear that you're still going through some awful stuff while healing. My heart goes out to you!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're alive, recovering and the critters are in good hands! Take it easy, keep us posted and Happy birthday!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
First off, happy birthday!

Second, holy cow!
My roommate was hit by a car last week going 25. There was a cop behind her that saw everything. But she was still able to get up and walk away(more or less). She wasn't wearing a helmet. The cop said that had her bike been any shorter(it was way too tall for her), she would've gone straight through the cars driver side window.

I have been hit twice. Both times I was able to walk away barely any worse for the wear. I'm finally planning to buy a helmet...I guess it took me a while to learn that lesson.

I hope you recover quickly.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the responses, all the get well wishes. It will be awhile before I am fully back to normal, but am definitely getting better. I mostly posted to hopefully convince people to wear a helmet, being a little dorky is way better than this. The pain, i puked a ton the first 5 or 6 nights/mornings (and that hurts when your head is broke), I can't walk on my own, shower on my own, sometimes I can't think of words I need . . . it really is better to wear a helmet.

Nash comes today. I'm a bit worried, lol. I hope he doesn't accidentally hurt me. That is why I had my coworker take him, because we worried after not seeing me for several days he would jump on me. She is going to spend some time to make sure he understands he can't jump on me no matter how happy he is to see me. And to make sure him and Lloyd are still cool, Lloyd has been a bit protective of me since I came home from the hospital, just getting between me and visitors, chasing the cats away from me (but he stopped that when I told him no). I had my parents go get a chuck it so they can take him to the school and have him run after a ball, they won't be able to exercise him nearly as much as he is used to.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm getting a helmet to match Kaki's collar(Olive green with silver stars on the sides). If I'm going to look like a dork, I'm going all out.
...plus, I'm already kind of a dork.

Okay, okay. I AM a dork.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Wow. I'm sorry to hear of your accident, but relieved to know you're alright, and am glad you posted to let us know. I wish the best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm glad you are all right. That is one very scary story.

I had coronary artery bypass surgery, and when I came home, I was afraid our collie would jump on me. Two adults stood by and made sure he didn't. He learned very quickly not to jump on me, and he never tried again. No one did anything to hurt him, btw, he was just an extremely quick-learning dog.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to teach Aidan not to jump on people though.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nash's homecoming went well. My coworker just gave him a little pull back with the leash when he tried to jump into the chair with me and we told him to be easy (a term we use when they are around my 3 year old niece). Then my mom helped me stand up and we did the same and he has been good around me. Sounds like he has been a bit misbehaved though while I was taking a nap, he pulled a bag of brown sugar off the counter and ate half of it (so like 2 1/2 pounds of sugar!). He never does stuff like that at home, but I guess he probably is stressed and also gonna see what he can get away with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts