Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
It's click bait. They don't even name the diseases that breeds are at high risk for. For instance, Berners are one of the most cancer prone breed and their health is rated "medium" by this site. Dobermans are also not very healthy, and again have a "medium" rating. Rotts and Goldens are the most cancer prone breeds, which isn't mentioned.

While certainly not THE unhealthiest breed, Danes are certainly not health issue free, and they didn't even make the list...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I feel like their methodology is. . .suspect, at least :p. "We looked at breed descriptions on Animal Planet". Yeah, way to science there, fellas. I mean, just about anything else would be better. Look at vet records, look at insurance claims. . .honestly I think talking to dog owners at the dog park might be a better methodology than that. So, click bait or not (and slideshow format is classically clickbait-ish), it's definitely useless fluff.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So GSDs are listed as #2 for hip dysplasia but Newfs are down at #9? And SAS is listed as the reason? Oy. I agree. Total clickbait.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yeah, pretty terrible clickbait.

Where is the Cavalier in all this? Yeah Cockers have a lot of issues but they way more often than not outlive a Cav.

Poodles in general aren't really that awful health wise. I don't know a single Toy that hasn't lived well into the teens. I can think of a lot more breeds that should go before them.

Also random MAS but no Aussie? They have the same genetic issues and should definitely not be that high up on the list. Geesh. I don't know who came up with this but it is pure fail.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Worse than no information. Labs are unhealthy cause of EIC. Give me a break. Yes, the gene is pretty common. Most affected Labs go through life without anyone ever knowing they are affected. Cocker as #1, absurd. They give the cocker an average lifespan of 14 years. So why is it less healthy than the bulldog, who they say has a life expectancy of 9 years, but many sources say 6 years. Breeds like pugs and Frenchies with breathing and skeletal problems aren't even listed. Giant breeds like many of the mastiff variants have short lifespans and often serious problems with hips, elbows and/or cruciate ligaments aren't even listed. Could go on and on. What a crock!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Well, considering that they didn't mention the top three health issues in Dobes*, I'd say clickbait.

*Dilated Cardiomyopathy is THE number one killer of Dobermans. An estimate 50% of all Dobes will die from either sudden death or congestive heart failure caused by DCM. Cancer and Cervical Vertebral Instability (aka wobblers) are the other two top health issues. Chronic Active Hepatitis, with or without copper storage disease, is a concern, but nowhere near as common as DCM, cancer, or CVI.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Worse than no information. Labs are unhealthy cause of EIC. Give me a break. Yes, the gene is pretty common. Most affected Labs go through life without anyone ever knowing they are affected. Cocker as #1, absurd. They give the cocker an average lifespan of 14 years. So why is it less healthy than the bulldog, who they say has a life expectancy of 9 years, but many sources say 6 years. Breeds like pugs and Frenchies with breathing and skeletal problems aren't even listed. Giant breeds like many of the mastiff variants have short lifespans and often serious problems with hips, elbows and/or cruciate ligaments aren't even listed. Could go on and on. What a crock!
More or less summarizes my impressions... I will say that though both my Cockers lived to 15, they did have quite a few health problems along the way: cherry eyes, abnormal (benign) cyst growths, festering ear issues, bone/joint issues, hearing and eyesight loss, and finally, what did them both in, heart issues that had been developing and managed for years.

I am hoping the mythology that mixed breeds are healthier proves true with my Tessa.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I am hoping the mythology that mixed breeds are healthier proves true with my Tessa.
Generally speaking, if something can affect a purebred dog, then a mixed breed that has that breed in its background has the chance of developing it. I've known plenty of mixed breeds with hip dysplasia (including expensive "designer breeds"). My own Doberman cross, while never "officially" diagnosed with Doberman DCM, did have an enlarged heart, and also had other symptoms that pointed towards it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Insurance company Petplan has a feature on the relative health of various breeds in their monthly magazine. They use a meter and don't compare breeds. I think their information is pretty accurate based on the thousands of claims they see. A quick way to get an idea of how healthy they consider your breed to be is to get a quote for your location and compare the price to a mixed breed dog of the same weight and age (which will be the lowest). Or you could just call their customer service and ask what info they have about the health of your breed. They are very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts