Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really found that having my goals for 2016 written out here helped me stick with them, so let's do that again! What are your goals/plans for yourself and your dogs for the upcoming year? In sports, in behaviour, in just whatever.

Snowball:
- TEAM Title Level 1 and 1+.
- We're going to try barn hunt in March. Update 3/13: We participated in a fun match; 1 Instinct and 2 Novice runs. He "passed" the instinct run - one of only two dogs out of a class of 10 that did, and he was only 2 seconds behind the first place dog. He did well in the Novice runs, but *I* did not and did not call his indications.
- I'd like to take a nosework class or workshop if I have the opportunity (i.e., I can find one that fits into my schedule). Update 2/28: took a sporting detection workshop two weekends ago. It was a lot of fun, and it's something more thoughtful and less instinct-driven that Snowball and I can do, so we're going to keep up with it... It's also a component of TEAM so yeah.
- More walks! Update 1/30: He's gotten a walk almost every day in January, except yesterday.

Ida:
- Also TEAM Titles, at least Level 1.
- Enter our first agility trial with the goal of getting some Starters Jumpers Qs.
- Teach weaves and teeter by the end of the year. Edit: Scratch that, we're going to have weaves and a teeter by summer 2017. You saw it here first, folks.
- Enter some standard starters runs.
- Keep trying to figure out this stress stuff. Update 2/28: Ida has started on some meds. They've helped noticeably in class so far, but we'll be stopping classes in order to work on her issues with the car. We'll continue agility training at home in the mean time.
- Try to do off-leash walks with a calm dog buddy more regularly. Update 2/28: This will be on hold until we get her car/traffic noise issues more under control; will try to invite dogs over for play dates in the yard instead.

Me:
- Pay more attention to what I'm asking of both of them in terms of extraneous/environmental factors.
- Be more clear with what I'm asking. update 2/28: I'm trying to more frequently re-evaluate my cues/body language when the dog "refuses" more than 2-3 times in a row. It's already resulted in changing some of my cues.
- Go slower and focus more on "consent" in terms of cooperative care/handling/grooming. If I need the dogs to do something and they have no choice, don't present them with one by asking for a behaviour and then making them do it anyway. Update 1/30: I've implemented some cooperative care protocols; all grooming happens on a grooming station that they are asked to hop up on and are free to leave whenever they want. I only ask once, and if they don't hop up, no grooming happens.
- Donate one of our Bark Box toys to the shelter. Ida doesn't need all 3 toys, lol.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
I really like these threads, too.

My goals are kind of spread out and disorganized in places, but.

Agility specific:
Kylie:
- Get that last Novice Chances Q, and at least *try* Open Chances. (Nov Chances/Novice Versatility, 3-26) (Open Chances, 1st run and 1st Q, 4-2)
- Get the last Open Weavers, get at least one Elite Weavers Q. (Open Weavers 6-10) (Elite Weavers not happening - stopped running it in favor of NATCH classes and won't have a chance to try it again until New Year's)
- Get her last Open Tunneler's Q, get at least one Elite Tunneler's Q (Open Tunneler's Title, 4-2) (Elite Tunneler's Q, 4-28, Elite Tunnelers Title, 6-10)
- Finish her Elite T'n'G Title (1 Q to go) (Accomplished 12-31-16, oops)
- Run Elite Jumpers. (Ran it 4-30 (sans Q/with an extra obstacle but made time), first Q 7-1, title 9-17),
- Knock out some of the remaining 16 Elite Regular Qs she needs for the Regular portion of NATCH. She has 9. Needs 23 total. That *should* be possible in a year, (given 4 rounds per trial) but I'll settle for whatever we get.
- Break 500 lifetime points. (Accomplished 4-28)

Mostly my agility goals for her are down to 'Chances and Elite Jumpers'. Chances needs training work - distance training work. Jumpers is a me training thing. The elite courses tend to overwhelm and confuse me and in turn slow her down. She cannot be slowed down and make time in Jumpers.

Molly:
- Carry on giving her half of 'Kylie's' private lessons. AKA: Learn to handle her.
- Get 3 novice titles. Ideally/probably that means Regular , Jumpers, and Tunnelers. (Tunnelers - 3-27, Regular - 4-28, Weavers 6-11, Jumpers 9-16, Open tunnelers, 9-17)

Dog Sports in general:
Nose-work (at home): Yes
Barn hunt : Sign up for rat 'n' goes and the private instruction that comes with them.
Lure coursing - keep doing it: Yes
Flyball - at the very least attend a practice or two. : Yes
Disc - Do one of the local festivals around. : Yes
Rally - Get back to run throughs. Actually take an official obedience class with at least one dog, probably Kylie because:
Freestyle: I'd like to take this class, now that I know it exists quasi-locally. That's probably a 2018 thing, but I want to do the thing with Kylie because Kylie freaking loves tricks.
Dock diving: Do it when it rolls around.

Me: Try lots of things, keep pressure off, give the dogs things they enjoy and have fun myself. Revel in the fact that I can do all the things and love the hell out of my dogs. Really, that's it. Play with them, love them, enjoy them, have fun with them.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Ralphie:
Master the teeter!
Learn to ignore things that don't matter (i.e. other dogs, other people, etc.)
Perfect recall
*Maybe* do an agility trial, but we'll see.
Biking with me.

Me:
Be more patient, and understand that Ralphie is still so very young (1.5 years as of right now) when I get frustrated.
Don't forget obedience training in the excitement of agility!
Go to a few new parks and places with Ralphie.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Oh, and I want to try the CGC thing with Kylie this year. I keep not doing it because of the chaos of the festival it's offered around, but if I suck it up and am out there for disc I may as well.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I also love these threads! Here goes:

Skye: I would love to be competing in all AKC Master classes with her this year, which I think is quite doable since she only needs 1 more EX Q in JWW, then finish Open and Ex Standard. I also want to get her qualified for the 2018 CPE Nationals, which will be coming back to Ohio. That requires 48 Q's in 2017. I also want to make sure we get to some more disc events again this year because we both love those, keep working on our freestyle routine there. Possibly start doing some Rally or dock diving with her if time/finances permit.

Zoey: Main goal this year is to finish her CPE CATCH. We are 14 Q's away, I may hold off until June just so that I can get it among friends at my club's trial. She also needs one more Excellent Preferred Standard Q and one Open FAST Q in AKC to finish those titles. After that she is most likely going into semi-retirement from agility. I would also at some point like to get her AKC Rally Excellent title, she has Advanced. Also keep trying to get her into disc, we made a lot of progress this past year.

Luke: Get his general anxiety issues under control. Probably no more competing for him due to this anxiety stuff that has been coming up more and more, but I would like to try and do more trick training and at home nosework stuff with him.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Main goals for Ben:

1. Nail down weave poles.
2. Get to first fun match or trial.
3. Work on his worries about strangers because I would love for him to get his CGC at some point.

Main goals for Dahlia:

1. Love her.
2. Maybe try a nosework class if I can find one.

But mostly #1. She's an older gal (10 1/2), has had vestibular disease, and is a little wobbly. I'm just happy to have her in my life.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Soro goals:
-Take a group class or two ASAP; highly dependent on what's available so I won't beat myself up if this doesn't happen.
-Maybe CGC because I think he'd get it easily.
-Continue keeping him physically and mentally active.

Personal goals:
-Get a puppy in spring.
-Would love to attend a workshop or conference to work on my CEUs. Fenzi's camp in Oregon sounds wicked fun but it all depends on how work, time and finances pan out.

Mostly, puppy is my big goal. If it happens, I will have a very, very busy year.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soro goals:
-Take a group class or two ASAP; highly dependent on what's available so I won't beat myself up if this doesn't happen.
-Maybe CGC because I think he'd get it easily.
-Continue keeping him physically and mentally active.

Personal goals:
-Get a puppy in spring.
-Would love to attend a workshop or conference to work on my CEUs. Fenzi's camp in Oregon sounds wicked fun but it all depends on how work, time and finances pan out.

Mostly, puppy is my big goal. If it happens, I will have a very, very busy year.
Oooh, puppy! That's super exciting! Also Clicker Expo is in Portland at the end of January. :)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Hooray goals!

Oh, and I want to try the CGC thing with Kylie this year. I keep not doing it because of the chaos of the festival it's offered around, but if I suck it up and am out there for disc I may as well.
If Kairi can do it, so can Kylie! I bet she passes it with ease.

I've had some health related problems that were making it difficult for me to function both physically and mentally.. so really I just want to feel better as my own personal goals.

Kairi Goals:
- We are gonna try to get our Alt GrCh
- Currently filming for TDCH.. so that should be soon
- Enter our first AKC agility trial.. I've been putting it off but I want to be more than ready..
- Get to CPE level 4
- I'm hoping to enter enough lure coursing to get her CAA title.. it is a lot of easy fun!
- Re-try dock diving

Ember:
- Enter her in her first CPE trial.. something easy.. like a game of FullHouse
- Get her CA title.. now that we finally AKC registered her she can enter a real lure coursing trial
- Try herding.. I hope that if she enjoys it that it can help her mentally and emotionally
- Continue to build a better relationship with her...

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Lucy: Need one more Q in Gamblers and she will have her Starter Games Title (SGDC.) She has her Starter Standard title (ADC). Would like to get up to Masters this year with her, but have to work up through Advanced first. First trial is not until March.

Bonnie: Hope to start competing with her in Agility in the fall when she is old enough.

Kris: Would like to get her into some Rally and Obedience this year and maybe some Agility.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I will try this.

Yarrow: will be headed to her board and train sometime this year. Trying to decide if we are doing it in January or waiting until my surgery is scheduled and sending her then. I want to get her CGC out of the way and get more PA time under out belt. Learn retrieve, oh for the love of....she needs to start retrieving. Learn tug to open doors. Work on handicap button door opening. Learn to walk next to wheelchair. Learn to turn on/off light switches. Work on our training log and modify her alert from bear hugs to nose bump.

Freyja: I'm thinking Intermediate trick dog title. My son is handling her training now so I'll have to see what he has in mind for her but he was really hoping to do some junior handler stuff at the UKC show. Continue work on carting so she can be the lead dog when Yarrow is ready.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Main goal is to train for and pass the CGC. I'd like to teach her to pull as well so she can help out around the property, but CGC will be the main focus.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Hooray goals!

If Kairi can do it, so can Kylie! I bet she passes it with ease.
Thanks. I'm not overly concerned. I mean dogs will be dogs and something could happen but it should be all right. The supervised separation is iffy but I'll do some dry runs with that, and people who are strangers to her and see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Oooh, puppy! That's super exciting! Also Clicker Expo is in Portland at the end of January. :)
I know! For better or worse, I am booked this month with work and classes and such.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can I join? I'm nowhere near as advanced as you all, but I do have some small goals. Well, they seem big to me, but I think we can achieve them.

For Klara:
* Solidify recall
* Master LLW
* Work on not barking at strangers in the house and random stuff in the backyard
* Find out if she's a swimmer! I haven't had a chance to try at all, it's too cold right now.
* At least try an agility class, to see if it's a fun option (neither of us have ever done it)

For me:
* Be patient! My girl is not even 9 months old and I've only had her since October, I forget she's still a puppy and learning.
* Leave her alone for longer periods gradually, overcome my own worry
* Explore the new training facility I've found and find another if I don't like it
* Commit to an intermediate training class and actually make it to ALL of the classes

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
IPO 3 on my recently spayed bitch (she has her 2). Compete at 3 trials at that level and do well (club, regional and National levels).

The dog may have other ideas. She can be an "original thinker" at times.

She also must stay healthy.

Fingers crossed and let's train!!!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can I join? I'm nowhere near as advanced as you all, but I do have some small goals. Well, they seem big to me, but I think we can achieve them.

For Klara:
* Solidify recall
* Master LLW
* Work on not barking at strangers in the house and random stuff in the backyard
* Find out if she's a swimmer! I haven't had a chance to try at all, it's too cold right now.
* At least try an agility class, to see if it's a fun option (neither of us have ever done it)

For me:
* Be patient! My girl is not even 9 months old and I've only had her since October, I forget she's still a puppy and learning.
* Leave her alone for longer periods gradually, overcome my own worry
* Explore the new training facility I've found and find another if I don't like it
* Commit to an intermediate training class and actually make it to ALL of the classes
Those are all really great goals! A lot of us involved in dog sports have posted sports goals, but I think non-sports goals are just as important. Until this year I didn't have any real sports goals either, other than "Try it". :)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
These are some I can think of

Build weight pull track of my own
Finish 2-3 dogs this year (in conformation)
Title 1 dog in weight pull
Have a grand champion produced by myself
Get a nice MALE from my 2017 litter
It’s not in my control but I want Griz or another puppy get a Best Puppy placement
Condition Bella properly for champion class
Start Griz in lure coursing
Have Jaxon’s semen frozen
Have Morgi’s CRD1/CRD2 test done

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Those are all really great goals! A lot of us involved in dog sports have posted sports goals, but I think non-sports goals are just as important. Until this year I didn't have any real sports goals either, other than "Try it". :)
Yeah, agreed. And honestly, even into sports with a young dog there's only so much in the way of 'big' goals you can have. Once they get started it's easier to say 'I need 2 Qs to get X title or Y award' but before that is' still basically 'do the thing' and 'train the dog'. You're gold.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts