Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me..I have read through some of the stickies..lots of good info here. Not sure if this post belongs in training so if it does I apologize and could a mod please move it..Thanks. Anyhow, my wife and I recently rescued a 2 yr old beagle mix from our local shelter. He's a good boy and understands the basic commands, sit, stay, come. Sleeps all night in his own bed and knows when bed time is..Very calm and kind of timid but im working on that..Completely house broken..so far anyway. He has a few issues, nothing I can't work through but a couple of them kind of bother me and I'm not real sure how to correct them..

1. Doesnt like to eat from a bowl. I have to spread some food in front of the bowl and lead him into it. Once he gets his nose in the bowl it's ok for the most part. He will take a mouth full and go into the living room and eat it sometimes but then will come back to the bowl. I tried going from a metal bowl to plastic, no change..moving the bowl to a different location, no change. Its almost as if he's scared of the bowl

2. Around the same time every night, usually after his walk and before bed he will start to bark at me and run around the house like a nut. At first I thought it was funny and ran with him but he got a little over excited and started nipping..And after seeing this a couple of times, it's not playfull barking it's load and authoritative with some growling involved and showing teeth though besides the nipping he has never actually bitten. This doesn't last very long and then it's over..I have chosen to ignore him when these outbursts occur and told my wife to do the same...I'm thinking mayby this is to garner attention?

Anyhow, any help would be apprecited..We love him dearly and look forward to long fullfilling life with him..Thanks

John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
He's still settling in and learning whether or not there are pack/family rules and who is or is not a leader. I would start him on a simple NILIF and daily obedience training program to help his confidence as well as give him the structure he needs.

As far as the eating is concerned, it may be that he never ate out of a bowl before but I wouldn't worry about it at this point in time. Al lot of dogs take their food from their dish to another location to eat it. If it bothers you, you could just feed him in a crate or even an ex-pen to at least limit the food migration.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
1. I think he's just insecure, still. You mention he's timid, and there is certainly a possibility for timid dogs to also be afraid that someone's going to come and snatch his food. If you are feeding him just kibble, you may want to try adding wet food as a topper to make it more enticing. You can also try feeding him off of a paper plate or a ceramic dish for now and see if he then keeps the food in one spot.

Also hand feeding might help, and then instead of hand feeding you can take small amounts of kibble and plop them in the bowl. This is similar to what many people suggest for food aggressive dogs, but hand feeding really helps in terms of gaining confidence too.

2. My dog had teribble zoomies every night around 11 when I first brought her home. Are you SURE he's being aggressive? Some dogs will rough house (even with their owners), using their teeth and play growling. Perhaps to intercept this behavior, you can try working on obedience commands at this time (if he's driven enough by the treats, he'll calm down hopefully).

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My dogs get the "zoomies" each night after I walk them. One of them also takes her food over to a rug and eats there. I agree that adding some canned food can help stop it, as they will tend to eat more readily.

I wouldn't worry about the zoomies. You can throw a toy for him, if you are worried about the barking/nipping. It will give him something to do besides bark/nip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies..He's definitely still settling in for sure. Today will actually be his sixth day with us. Bruno was a surrender to the shelter. His previous owner lived alone and had lupus so she was not very mobil. I spoke with a girl at the shelter where we got him from today. She actually lived right next door to Bruno. She said he was left outside alot and barely if ever walked because the owner couldn't physically do it. This is also why he jumps up on you as he was taught this because she couldn't bend over..I guess the only other real visitors he ever had was the owners son..So this explains alot why he's so timid of strangers and cars etc..I am gonna start an NILF program with him and just keep at it. He's got the basics he just needs some refining..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts