Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With much hard work, and a bit of maturity, we have cured Chloe of her worst habits. She no longer guards, snaps, eats garbage, and a few other things. She also comes when called; even when she knows it it for something she won't like.
However, she gets up every morning at 6:45 and whines for a half hour. Then she is quiet for a while until she starts barking. Only feeding her will stop her.

I regularly get up at 4am (temporarily) and tried sending her out thinking that might help. It doesn't change anything. I also tried feeding her half her breakfast, that that doesn't change anything either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Your mention of "only feeding her will quiet her" implies that you once gave in to her whining and fed her. She learned that's how she gets her full breakfast. It might take a while for her to unlearn that behavior, and all you can do is wait it out. A 2 year old dog should be able to get through the night without having to potty, barring unusual circumstances.

What time does she eat dinner?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If I didn't get up and take care of my wakeful dogs I'd get bile vomits and pee on the carpet. Cured me pretty fast of trying to wait to feed them. Why not give her her breakfast at 6:30 and go back to sleep?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually sleep through it, but my wife assures me that she feeds Chloe at 8am, regardless of her whining and barking.

However, she might think that the whining and barking for 75 minutes cause her to be fed. Do we have to wait a few hours to feed her?

She gets dinner at about 6:30pm.

Just had an idea, possibly really bad. Some dogs eat once a day. Maybe phase out the breakfast entirely?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If she eats at 6:30pm, then that explains why she's hungry at 6:30am. Feed her at 8pm if you want her to eat breakfast at 8am, adjust potty schedule as needed.

If you guys are asleep until 8am and then feed her, I don't see why she couldn't get fed at 8pm, last potty by 10pm, and then be fine until 8am when she gets breakfast. If one of you is awake early, the dog gets fed. If you really do sleep until 8 (lucky you) then you are probably staying up late enough to do a 10pm potty break, unless you sleep more than 10 hours a night. Potty break then breakfast always happen immediately after waking up at my house.

Personally, I think it's not very nice to only feed them once a day. Yeah, sure, a lot of people say that wolves sometimes don't get a kill for days, yada yada. Dogs aren't wolves, and they are domesticated animals. A 30lb dog isn't that big and she may experience fluctuations in blood sugar, or like Kathyy mentioned, you may find she starts to vomit up bile from empty stomach. To each their own.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The only way to get her to stop is to completely ignore her... and never feed her until she's quiet. My dogs would be demons if I didn't feed them by 7.30am though (and typically 6.30am, except the old one who just doesn't care).

My dogs wake me up in the morning too, I think it's pretty much normal. I managed to stop my 1.5yo from doing that by just ignoring her, and it worked until I got my new dog... but it's much harder to ignore a 85lbs newfoundland that's crawling all over you and licking your face. So I just get up. Sigh.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why not bring her bowl inside at night and put food in it, everything is ready, and when y'all take her out in the morning she can have breakfast.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yeah over 13 hours without food is a long time. She's probably pretty hungry by then! What time does she go to sleep in the evening?
I don't think my wife will like the idea of an 8pm dinner, but I will try it.
Is there some specific reason she needs to be fed at 6:30 p.m.?

Both my dogs are up at 5 a.m. because that's the schedule we're on. They go to bed early (as do us humans) and they get up early. On the weekends they are also up at 5 a.m. :doh: One of us will get up, let them out to potty, feed them, then they are allowed in our bed at that point and we all go back to sleep until around 7 a.m. It's what works and allows us to get a couple more hours of sleep on our days off.

If I didn't get up and take care of my wakeful dogs I'd get bile vomits and pee on the carpet. Cured me pretty fast of trying to wait to feed them.
Yes, exactly the same in our household.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feeding her 2 hours later at night is getting her up 1 hour later in the morning. That is definite progress.

Pee and vomit if you don't feed them on time? In 25 years of dog ownership I have been unable to feed them for many hours after normal more than a couple times, and have never had a problem; except a really hungry dog.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All dogs are a bit different, but I can give you my anecdotal bit of info on my current dog. He eats between two and four times a day depending on the available activity opportunities for him. Basically exercise is always followed by food and relaxation. He never gets fed if he hasn't done some kind of activity first and he always expects to chill a bit after eating. For him work = food and food = relaxation and the last thing he wants to do in the morning unless food is on the line is work. lol

Note: I measure his food in a container for the day each day and don't give him more than that unless there's an especially demanding activity. I typically know in the morning if he's going to need it divided by 2 or 3 or 4 for each meal and do so accordingly. Sometimes the day plan doesn't work out and he might end up with a larger last meal than norm or even food leftover for the next day (a day with less food than normal)... but that works because he didn't work off the calories needed to eat his normal daily amount on that occasion.

But for your issue, do not give him his breakfast until he's done his morning walk. If he's like my dog, the early morning walk will eventually be motivated only by the fact that he'll know food is to follow, but that walk will never be worth getting up earlier than you like to perform.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Pee and vomit if you don't feed them on time? In 25 years of dog ownership I have been unable to feed them for many hours after normal more than a couple times, and have never had a problem; except a really hungry dog.
Our dogs won't pee if they don't get fed on time, but leave it a bit too long and they will definitely throw up some bile. I think it's more to do with the fact that they are food obsessed and just get themselves really worked up/stressed out about it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Feeding her 2 hours later at night is getting her up 1 hour later in the morning. That is definite progress.

Good, glad things are improving. Nagging dogs are so annoying.

First dog Sassy. Arrived as 1 year old in 1994. Bile vomits early in the morning unless we remembered to give her a bedtime snack. Stopped when old, sick and fed multiple home cooked meals a day. Would rub on the bed to make a doggy earthquake starting at dawn and was also a whiner. I got up. Bad human. Should have pottied and fed then gone back to bed. As it was I lost the ability to sleep in apparently permanently.
Second dog Max 8 months old when arrived in 2000. Bile vomits frequent even with midnight snacks that stopped completely when on raw. I think he was a restless sleeper so his kidneys were working during the night so there were more than a few accidents in the bedroom. On the new carpet. Once I popped out of bed and ran him to the back door because I could swear he was peeing on the bedroom carpet. He hadn't that time.
Third dog Ginger. 5 years old when arrived in 2013. Occasional bile vomits even though she's been eating raw since arrival. Maybe 2-4 in the 5 years she's been here. She came here obese so was on a quite restricted diet, maybe that's part of it. She's had to pee in the house once, went in the bathroom next to the toilet when left for several hours longer than usual. Love this dog so much.
Bucky. 2 years old when arrived in 2015. Busy little guy who needs to pee a lot and if I don't rush him out first thing when we come home or wake up we will pay the consequences. No bile vomits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts