Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With much hard work, and a bit of maturity, we have cured Chloe of her worst habits. She no longer guards, snaps, eats garbage, and a few other things. She does however jump up on people who pet her. It doesn't help that almost everyone likes being jumped up on. (she is 30 pounds and exceptionally pretty)

I can tell her not to go over to people, but if I let her go, nothing stops her from jumping up. I thought a gentle leader (like a head harness) would stop it, but she just ignores it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Don't let her go. Every time she jumps and gets pet, she's reinforcing the behavior. You are responsible for making it so she can't do this, and then replacing it with a desired behavior - and you have to make the desired behavior more rewarding.

Enlist some people to help you teach her that she only gets pet when her feet are on the ground. Make her feet being on the ground even more rewarding by having them give her a treat when she sits to be pet versus jumping up. I've had luck asking random (friendly and interested in my dog) passerby to 'help me train my dog' by holding my dog close to my side on the leash, handing them a treat, and telling them not to give the dog a treat until he sits. But you can also get friends/family members to help out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Step on the leash so she only has room to sit, not jump. Do that every time you have guests over or go outside. In doubt, just tell people not to pet her.

I would agree that it would help to enlist some friends to help you out - wait until she's sitting to pet her.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most people ask before petting her. I will say okay, but they have to stop if she jumps. Maybe even put her in a sit first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes when we are walking ours (1.5 years old) we don't let people pet him until he sits. He's still struggling when people come into our house though. He'll sit a moment then jump a bit. Much harder when not on a leash. Especially if your guest thinks they should pet the dog no matter if its jumping or sitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts