Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have 2 chow shepherds that shed quite a bit. I am constantly pulling dog hair out of my little boys mouth. Is this something I should be worried about? Is it time for the dogs to find a new home? I have shaved them down but it is always a daily struggle to clean up after the hair. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I don't think you should get rid of the dogs jsut because of that. Toddlers will grow out of that phase soon enough,and you just have to watch him more.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
1: You're not supposed to shave Chows or Shepherds. They are double coated dogs and you're risking ruining their coats and their skin. It's not the dog's fault they shed.
2: Brush them about 2-3 times a day, make sure they're on a good diet and that they're getting regular bathing. This should reduce shedding.
3: Don't let your child eat dog hair.

I have no idea why you would get rid of your dogs for having hair. Watch the kid.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah this isn't anything to do with the dogs, it's a case of parental negligence. Like I'd say with a puppy--why is he out of your sight long enough to eat the hair?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Every time something gross like that happens I just think "well, at least they won't have allergies!" and move on.

They've had dog hair in their mouths, they've licked the dogs, ate after the dogs... Once I caught both kids on their hands and knees drinking out of the dog's water dish. They looked up at me and barked. I didn't freak out. I laughed and then got them up and explained to them why that wasn't a good idea.

My kids are both very healthy. Dog hair in a kid's mouth is gross, but it's not really a big deal. Your kid will grow out of it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Every time something gross like that happens I just think "well, at least they won't have allergies!" and move on.

They've had dog hair in their mouths, they've licked the dogs, ate after the dogs... Once I caught both kids on their hands and knees drinking out of the dog's water dish. They looked up at me and barked. I didn't freak out. I laughed and then got them up and explained to them why that wasn't a good idea.

My kids are both very healthy. Dog hair in a kid's mouth is gross, but it's not really a big deal. Your kid will grow out of it.
Love it! Brings back "fond memories" of when my kids were little. I laughed out loud about the barking. My kids survived growing up in a household with dogs. My kids don't have allergies either.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
They will also have stronger immune systems when older as well. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts