Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a two year old male Papillon, who has always behaved, to a limit, very well. He caught on much faster than his sister at knowing to pee outside on grass. As a puppy, he rarely had any accidents which he was promptly sent outside to a proper pee spot, and all was well.

Recently, in the last few months, he's started marking around the house on anything standing upright, never people, but corners of walls, boxes, chairs and whatnot. I know he's not actually peeing because he has to go, because it can be right after he comes inside and it's only maybe a teaspoon of pee. The problem is that he does it ONLY when people are not around, therefore making it incredibly hard to catch him in the act.

We've tried kenneling, but he marks in there just as much, putting him outside more, and rewarding him when he pees outside. But he's just too darn sneaky to teach him a lesson as he's doing it inside. We even got him a male wrap, and he still pees in there. I know he does it because on walks he marks everything even when nothing comes out, he lifts his leg against every possible object we pass, but it's hard to correct that because it's still peeing outside.

How do I correct this? If it helps any, his sister is definitely dominant over him, as she'll occasionally correct his behavior, so I was thinking maybe it's a dominance thing? How do I fix this problem? I'd like to save my furniture. :(

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It's not dominance.

Have you gotten your dog's health checked? Sudden changes in urination, imo, is something that should be brought up at the vet to rule out UTIs and whatnot.

If you can't keep an eye on your dog, I would kennel with a belly band when you're not home, and then keep him in your eyesight at all times and go out frequently.

Basically go back to housetraining 101 and mark and reward for any peeing/marking outside.

Clean the areas he has marked thoroughly as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts