Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two questions that could be related to each other so instead of making a thread for each I'll ask them both here.

1. I have a 6 foot privacy fence for the majority of my backyard, I have a dog who is using the insides of the fence ledges as a ladder and climbing the fence to get out. Does anyone know a way to stop this from happening? I would love to be able to just let both my dogs out in the backyard and step back inside without worrying if one is going to get out of the yard.

The dog in question is a large dog - almost two year old male who is right around 100 lbs and when standing on his hind legs is around 5'2" (guessing based off my own height, definitely over 5 feet though). So what he does is gets on his hind legs, puts his front paws on the very top ledge then pulls himself up, once his hind legs are on the middle ledge he is then over the fence.

From the images below, the red squares - this is what he uses as a ladder to climb the fence.

2. I live alone and I work outside the house. I am gone from 10-12 hours a day, there are no dog walkers/sitters anywhere near the area and taking both dogs to doggie daycare is something I can't afford. I always come home to something of a mess but I can't really blame them because of how long they are alone. I have thought about installing a doggie door but there is issue #1 from above to address first. And then what if they are outside just barking their heads off for hours on end while I'm gone - I'm sure the neighbors would love that. I do have an unfinished basement and there is a concrete room that I don't use at all, have been thinking of maybe trying artificial grass or pee pads? Thoughts on this or have you used something else that works better?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I cant help you with the issue of leaving them outside except to say they will likely bark and if they want out bad enough they'll start digging under the fence.....or chewing the bottom. As far as climbing you can rig up a setup along the top of the fence.....its ugly but it works. Basically sections of metal conduit with slightly larger sections of pvc pipe slid over the conduit. Dog tries to climb over and the pvc rolls so dog cant get a grip on it. You can paint the pvc to match fence color.....but you still have pvc lining the top of your fence

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
1. Coyote rollers, or a taller fence. Likely, a dog that determined to get out will always have to be supervised to some degree. I certainly wouldn't trust him alone.

2. Outdoor kennels may be an option. Perhaps install a doggy door that leads to a completely fenced in run, with a top and reinforced to prevent digging. It doesn't need to be big, just enough space so they can potty on one end and perhaps lay down on the other. The kennel should also be locked to prevent someone coming into your yard and stealing them. Some people use unfinished spaces, too, but some dogs might not get that they're supposed to go on the pads or grass and they might get their house training confused.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Lillith's suggestions of coyote rollers or access to a fully roofed dog run are probably your best bets.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Build a deck (wood or even better, concrete). Get a 5X10 kennel 6 feet high and anchor that to the deck. Securely attach kennel panels to the open top. Be sure to put a second chain and snap on the door. If you get two kennels and install them side by side as noted above, it is a good idea to put a privacy panel between so the dogs are not constantly in each other's face. Get dog houses for both kennels. Put a shade over both kennels if they are in the open.

If barking is an issue, I use electronic bark collars. With two dogs you need to get bark collars that will not be set off by another dog barking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts