Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm new to this forum. I'm joined not just for me but for 2 friends of mine that just got 2 shepard mix puppies. They are having some problems with their behavior.
Putting my opinions of how they are dealing with their dogs aside (they're set in their ways, however they call me everyday with a new problem...) I'm going to attempt to outline what they are dealing with and hopefully someone has some advice.

They act up when their owners are away.
Yep, simple as that.
The dogs:
-jump up on the kitchen counters (just their front paws) and grab things like a closed can of baby formula, eat it, and spill the reamaints all over the house.
-chew the furniture
-jump on the kitchen table and grab food, paper, anything.

The owners claim they don't have room to put another crate in their house (the current one is in their bedroom) so they let them free roam in the house.They walk them about once a day for about 1 mile and they have a huge backyard for them to run around in.

I know, I know. There are simple solutions that the average dog owner would do, like just get another crate, do more structured exercise, or get a large X-Pen to put in the basement (which is finished), get someone to walk their dogs while they are at work. One of the owners actually only works 2 days a week, so the dogs are not alone all week long.

They don't want to spend the money on obedience classes (even though i've totally told them off about that because shepards, when not properlly trained and stimulated definitely can act out. Same thing with taking them to doggie day care 2 a week.

Anyways, any suggestions to dealing with 2 puppies that act out when their owners aren't around.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
They've already dismissed the obvious solutions to the problem. They should: a) learn to live their lives at the mercy of unruly dogs (and purchase lots of additional liability insurance), or; b) re-home the dogs while they are still young enough to be rehabilitated. Beyond that, I got nuthin.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I know, I know. There are simple solutions that the average dog owner would do, like just get another crate, do more structured exercise, or get a large X-Pen to put in the basement (which is finished), get someone to walk their dogs while they are at work. One of the owners actually only works 2 days a week, so the dogs are not alone all week long.
Those are your suggestions. Short of puppy-napping them and training them yourself, I don't think there's anything else you can do.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have two shepherd mixes puppies almost two years ago. Now, they are no longer puppies. :D If they cant commit on training both, it would have been better if they just got one. But since they already have the two of them, I WISH THEM GOOD LUCK. It is a lot of work. It takes patience. TONS OF PATIENCE. Two puppies, is twice the work, twice the vet bills and twice of everything.

The only suggestion I can give is to take them to obedience classes. It will help them alot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes me mad because it's not fair for the dogs to be "spanked" (as they call it) after they have already done the damage. I COMPLETELY DISAGREE with their methods!
Thanks for replying guys, I appreciate it. I know, they don't want to do the right methods but they want to fix the problems...oh well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts