Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. My roomie and I just got 2 8-week old puppies. I’m into training my Shepherd/husky mix. My roommate (who has the sister - Maya) won’t train hers, won’t crate train and isn’t potty training hers (just sticks her outside and leaves her). Won’t this negatively affect my puppy (Scout)? They love to play together and hang out, but I fear my training won’t stick with Scout as well if my little guy sees his sister getting away with murder...that Scout will think it’s ok to pee in the house (cuz his sister is doing it) orget attention and be removed from the new play pen when she whines. I want to train Maya too, but my roomie counters the training so Maya is confused. Gah! Can anybody help?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Best option is to get a new roommate.

As something of an aside, if you're renting, landlord is probably going to be pretty unhappy about a dog peeing in the house all the time. You are likely to forfeit any security deposit. If you don't have permission to have the dogs, that makes it worse and can mean eviction. You might be able to use damage deposit/security as a leverage to convince your roomie to AT LEAST potty train her dog. Doesn't solve the general behavior training problems or littermate syndrome potential problem but at least can help keep the place sanitary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that is hugely helpful. The puppy may go back...hopefully she'll do that (even though I hate to separate them).

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
It's better for the puppies to separate them, really. Littermate syndrome can be a big deal. On the milder end, you can wind up with one social, outgoing dog and one shy, nervous dog. On the severe end, you can wind up with dogs that are so strongly bonded to each other that they don't care about you at all and absolutely freak out when separated... or you can wind up with dogs who hate each other and fight all the time. Littermate Syndrome doesn't always manifest, but if you want to be sure it doesn't, you'd have to do three times the work -- playing with and training each dog separately as well as both together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts