Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have heard people saying that there are mini yorkshire terrier and regular ones, but from what I know, there is only one type, the one that weigths from 3 to 7 pounds, am I right?

Also, I have the possibility to buy a two years old Yorkshire Terrier (according to owner), but it weights 12 pounds with length around 15 inches and height around 8 inches, can this dog really be a Yorkshire Terrier?

thank you

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is a large YT. It is not impossible. Most breeds do tend to fall around the average weight though.

I have two PB Pomeranians, one weighs 6 lbs the other 10 lbs - same liter.

Why are they selling?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is a large YT. It is not impossible. Most breeds do tend to fall around the average weight though.

I have two PB Pomeranians, one weighs 6 lbs the other 10 lbs - same liter.

Why are they selling?
thanks for the reply

they say it's because they don't have enough time to take care of him.

edit: I've looked around a bit, there seems to be no recognized subtype and of course there are quite a few cases of bigger and smaller so called Yorkshire Terrier. That doesn't tell me much, so I guess all there is left to do is go see the dog and make a decision...

edit 2: for those who might be interested, I found this on another forum:

The breed standard for the Yorkshire terrier is under 7 lbs as published in the standard by the AKC and Canadian Kennel Club. Over 7 lbs is considered to be oversized and should be sold for pet only never to be bred. Unfortunately, people who don't know better will breed them and they will produce some pretty big puppies. So you can see a 14 or more lbs Yorkie but this is not reputable breeding if you are purposely breeding too large. On the flip side, very small, under 4 lbs, is considered to be very undersized. The breed standard does not cite a minimum desireable weight or size but reputable breeders consider under 4 lbs very undersized. This is where the 'teacup' terminology comes in by breeders who don't know anything about Yorkies or the breed standard and likely don't care. Teacup is a clever marketing ploy to sell an undersized representative of the breed. In any purebred breed of dog, you can get oversized and undersized representatives of the breed, not just in Yorkies. Inventing names for them doesn't make them something else, they are still a Yorkie, classed as a toy or companion dog. An undersized Sheltie is still a Sheltie not a toy sheltie etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts