Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just recently adopted a rescue great pyrenees (Baker) and have an 8-month old great pyrenees at home (Chevy). They are both extremely mild mannered and calm males. They are full time outside dogs that never come inside. They have a big dog house and a workshop with covered front porch where we usually feed them. Since Chevy was a little puppy, we've let him free feed because he just nibbles a little throughout the day (ONLY when people aren't watching). He never eats the full recommended 4 cups a day, but he would eat most of it over 24 hours.

That's Baker on the left and Chevy on the right.

We got the new dog a little over a week ago and he is 40 pounds underweight, and about 1.5 years old. He's ravenously hungry no matter how much we give him—he just keeps eating. The first few days we put Chevy's food in his dog house so he could eat at his VERY leisurely pace throughout the day, while Baker gobbled it down in seconds on the back porch. Well, not surprisingly, Baker's found Chevy's food and gobbled it up too and Chevy didn't care at all. Neither dog is showing any aggression toward the other, I guess because Chevy's so passive and Baker's hungry but very mild mannered. So Chevy's not eating and Baker's eating double. We tried leashing Baker and taking Chevy to the front yard with his own food bowl, but he wouldn't eat even though he was totally alone because we were watching him. Ben tried getting Chevy to eat while I attempted leaving the house with Baker, and he just wanted to play instead of eat. No interest at all in his food. He sniffed it then just laid down. He doesn't seem to care that Baker's eating his food. What in the world? How can we make sure they both eat enough every day? We're not always able to be there to supervise them at meal time, so free feeding was perfect for us before. It might be important to note that Chevy is DYING for treats. They both are. If they see us come out of the house with treats in hand they are both slobbering, hopping, wagging crazy dogs dying for a Milkbone.

We've been giving Baker 1 cup 4 times a day poured into a muffin pan, and it took him approximately 30 seconds to eat each serving and then he's still starving. I'm afraid he'll never be full, while Chevy's oblivious. We did pour a cup of food directly on the porch floor for Chevy and he ate it right in front of us, but he definitely won't eat from his own bowl and we can't get him to eat more than 2 cups per day. He just acts like he doesn't have an appetite. This has been going on for a week now.

We tried getting an automatic feeder assuming that Baker would likely eat till he makes himself sick, but he surely couldn't eat 25 lbs. of food from the feeder, thus leaving plenty for Chevy to nibble on whenever. However, neither of them will come near the thing. Even after 2 days with very little food (hopefully forcing them to try it), no one has touched the feeder food.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how we can accommodate them both? They're getting along really well—no aggression towards each other whatsoever, but we're not always going to be available to hold Baker back while Chevy nibbles his food off the porch floor.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I wish I had more ideas, but I'm wondering if maybe Chevy just doesn't like his food? Have you tried different brands/flavors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we've tried 2 kinds and he reacted the same to both. Does anyone have any suggestion for a surefire kibble?

·
Registered
85 Posts
We had a similar problem like that with my two dogs. If I had to get my dog that doesn't like to eat all at once to eat all at once, I would add a teaspoon or so of white rice (he loves that for some reason). I have also seen a spray at the local pet store I go to that gives the dog food a more savory smell and taste, kind of like a salad dressing spray for dogs (haven't actually tried that though). His foster mom used to put a teaspoon of wet dog food over his dry to get him to eat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts