Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5 month old female airedale purebred. All of a sudden she was sitting down watching me eat dinner and she started shaking and twitching. It seemed as if the twitching caught her off guard because she barked at herself. Her chest from the front seemed to be twitching as well, along with her head and rest of her body. She seemed alert. i've had a dog in the past who had seizures and had to be PTS, and this was nothing like that. It lasted for about 10 minutes and I tried to capture it on my phone but it wasnt clear because my hand was shaking as I was watching her. She seems fine now and hasnt shook or twitched again. She did seem a little disoriented for a moment but now she is sleeping.

Before this happened, she ate her dinner, boiled chicken and prescription IAMs low residue dry food and went outside to pee. I have a male airedale as well about the same age who eats the same exact thing and he is fine, so Im sure its nothing related to food.

I have been having issues with her behavior and she is being evalutated on Monday to see if she needs to be on a medication for chemical imbalances which cause her to be obsessive and have aggressive tendencies. But after seeing her shake and twitch, which Ive never seen before, Im wondering if there is more too it.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Have the vet rule out Distemper, get a full blood workup including Thyroid.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I suggest the vet as well. The Iams you are feeding has a chemical in it called ethoxyquin which has been linked to things like liver failure. Some dogs have no issues all their lives on low quality foods, but other dogs are more sensitive, just in the same way some people smoke everyday and live to 90 and some people never smoked and they can still get lung cancer. It probably isn't the food, but I would highly suggest switching to something of a higher quality when your puppy is a bit better. She is still young enough that it will positively affect her development.

What behavioral problems have you been having with her? Sometimes normal puppy behavior can be mistaken for aggression.

P.S. instead of giving boiled chicken to your adult dog you should do raw chicken. Much better for them :)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
A 2.5 MONTH old pup is probably not being aggressive, their play style can be a bit rough at that age but that should NOT be mistaken for aggression (which many do) remember that growling is a form of communication and should never be punished.

As far as the twitching, get to the vet ASAP, it could be many things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sorry to say it does sound suspicious of a 'fit', epileptic or not.

Have you discussed this with her breeder?

in my breed, Doberman, there are some who 'suffer' from head bobbing..........i have been reading more and more that these head bobbing issues are related to 'fits'.

some say that vaccinations, oral pesticides and even diet can trigger these 'attacks'.

I hope you and your Vet can figure out what her issue is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts