Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I hope this is in the correct location.

I have a 2 yr male old Aussie/Jack Russel Mix. He came from a family that probably ignored him and didn't want him with kids who probably poked/kicked/hit him. So he was under exercised and a ball of pent-up-energy when we got him. With regular walks we got him out of it and it only takes some gentle correction to get him to "walk nice". That was easy.

Now I have taken in a 1 yr old female German Shepard/something(The human society said Shar Pei but I kinda have my doubts.) Mix. Her owner loved her immensely and let her romp in the yard with another dog but never ever walked her on a leash. She never walked her period. Put her on a leash and she starts panting and trying to drag me away! (I used her picture for my avatar)

She just gets so stressed out of her mind I don't have the heart to correct her bad-walking because I am sure it won't make it better. I feel like I'd be reinforcing the stress behavior like I was whispering into her ear "Yeah I know, the leash is SUPER evil huh?" I've done simple walking training on puppies but how do I do it with a hyperventilating sprinting Shepard!?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
:)I would post this in Training you will get a ton of responses from people that have went through the same thing and people who give great advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
you don't need to use correction and its great you are not going down that route :)

try a head collar for her but make sure you introduce it properly and pair with training. i have recently put some stuff on my homepage about this that may help you out. Use a treat or a toy to encourage to walk her by your side and when she pulls stop dead and wait for the tension to release (this will take a while and make you look a little odd for the first week or so i am afraid). Good luck

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Do not use a head halter or any other correction device until you have trained your dog to accept a leash.

Dogs and puppies have to be trained to accept a leash. It doesn't 'just happen'. You may think it 'just happened' with your first dog, but that wasn't actually the case.

Leash training an adult dog - especially one that has no training at all - can be a long, drawn-out affair compared to leash training a puppy, but the principles and techniques are exactly the same.

You should start with a light dragline rather than a leash and work from there. You can make one yourself from some poly rope and a swivel. It won't last very long but it doesn't have to - it's only used for the beginning training. You can use a light leash but a dragline is better.

Do this in the house and in a fenced yard. Attach the dragline to a buckle collar and let him just trail it around for a day or so.

When he seems ok just dragging the line around, casually pick up the end as he is walking and follow around with him. Do not put any tension on the line - just follow around where he goes.

If he makes any eye-contact with you while you are holding the line - and he probably will just out of curiousity - get really enthusiastic. Say "good dog" and mean it, drop the line, and give him a reward. If he doesn't make eye contact at all, just drop the line after a minute or so, and do the praise and reward thing.

Let him trail it around for a little while, then pick it up again. Repeat this a total of three times. That's it for that day.

Next day, repeat five times. Keep increasing the number until you can pick up the line ten times. If at any time he balks, don't say anything but drop the line and lower the repeats. It can take three days or it can take ten days to reach ten repeats. Don't rush it.

Once you can pick up the line ten times, switch to an actual leash. Let him drag it for little while. The pick it up and start using your controlled walking instruction - maybe "with me" or "let's go" or whatever you are going to use. KEEP THE LEASH LOOSE and guide him around with your leg. I'll say it again - KEEP THE LEASH LOOSE. Praise any eye contact. After you've walked around with him a few minutes while guiding him with your leg, drop the leash, praise and reward. Then repeat two more times. That's it for that day.

Next day, do the same thing but don't guide him with your leg. Don't let the leash tighten up at any time. He's probably got the idea now, but if he balks, go back to the previous step. Don't rush anything. At this point, you can start using a training collar or halter but only if you are well trained in how to use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts