Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home this adorable purebred beagle, up to date with all her shots, about 2 weeks ago, she is very smart and very hyper. She is almost house broken. She already know sit, paw and down. (with the influence of treats, of course.) She does ok in her crate training at night. I work three days a week 12hr days. She will be alone for at least 6-8 hrs a day, until my boyfriend comes home. I have made a little safe area for her in the basement with a comfy bed, toys and potty area, I could never leave her in the crate for that long. Tomorrow will be the first day that she will be left alone. I have tried her in her little room today to see how she does. She cried and cried. I feel terrible. Any advice would be great for I would hate to tramatize her or ruin our already made accomplishments. Thanks[/FONT]

·
Registered
44 Posts
She will be ok...She is going to cry but dont give in to her once she realizes noone comes when she cries she will stop. I have a 12 week old puggle and when I first put him in his crate he screamed like he was being tortured! The second night he was fine. I put a treat in his crate when i put him in there at night and tell him its bed time.

I know listening to them cry is heartbreaking but your doing the very best thing for her and keping her safe after a few days she should be fine!

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Beagles are a very vocal breed. Expect a lot of howling and baying. Could you have someone come in and let the dog outside at least once during the day? Even 6-8 hours is a long time for a young pup to be left alone. Too much alone time can result in separation anxiety and boredom problems...think destruction of anything in its reach.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're dealing with a hard wired survival instinct that comes with all young puppies....stay close/within sight of the pack or die. In the wild separation from the pack can be a death sentence. That's pure instinct. As dogs grow, they develop the maturity and confidence to be alone. That's why crate training heavily stesses making the crate a safe, comfortable place. Building the confidence to be alone takes time.
Having the crate in the same room with you is a good start. That way, you can step out of the room for a minute or two....come right back and the puppy learns that it's not so scary.
Don't worry about having to leave for many hours. It's part of the learning process....the pup will get through it and also learn from the process. The one thing you can do to help her is to tire her out with physical exercise and/or mental stimulation. Ideally, she would be so tired that she just sleeps while you're gone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The rule of thumb when it comes to ptty time for a dog is 1 hour per every month of age plus 1....so if your puppy is 2 months it should be able to hold it for 3 hours. My cooper is almost 3 months and I still take him out every hour but when I put him in his crate at 9pm he does not wake up till 3am every morning. I take him out for a long walk and play a few games with him prior to bed and it tuckers him out for the night. If you have a treadmill in the house put him on that for a bit in the morning befor you leave for work...I know work mornings can be very hectic and we dont always have time to take the dog for a walk so the treadmill comes in handy. I just removed all the clothes that were hanging on it and dusted it off and now cooper gets daily exercise when we cant take him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great advice thanks i will try the treads mill...

The rule of thumb when it comes to ptty time for a dog is 1 hour per every month of age plus 1....so if your puppy is 2 months it should be able to hold it for 3 hours. My cooper is almost 3 months and I still take him out every hour but when I put him in his crate at 9pm he does not wake up till 3am every morning. I take him out for a long walk and play a few games with him prior to bed and it tuckers him out for the night. If you have a treadmill in the house put him on that for a bit in the morning befor you leave for work...I know work mornings can be very hectic and we dont always have time to take the dog for a walk so the treadmill comes in handy. I just removed all the clothes that were hanging on it and dusted it off and now cooper gets daily exercise when we cant take him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Puppies feel safe in a crate, if you provide more room to roam she will definately feel
more lonely. We always have to remind ourselves that dogs are den animals and a crate
is similiar to a den. I crated 2 collies when they were puppies, after they become a
year old, then it's okay to let them roam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts