Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rescued King Charles spaniel. I got her when she was 15 weeks having been her 3rd home. She was rescued from a Puppy Farm by the SSPCA. She is a fantastic dog but I am having a few issues. She is exactly one year old. Taking ages to toilet train but main thing is peeing & pooing during the night. Even if I wait and take her out at midnight she will get up and pee & poo, usually about 3/4am and again about 6/7am. I know she can hold it in because a couple of times I have left her in the house alone for approx 5 hours during the day and she didn't do anything then. She usually but not always goes on the puppy training pads. I have tried taking the pads away but she just goes regardless. She gets fed a quarter tin of dog food and a handfull of biscuit mix 7am & 7pm. I have never had a dog before so I'm unsure what steps to take.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Have you been to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI or anything that is making it difficult for her to hold it?

Are you trying to train her to the pads, or are you trying to train her to go outside? If it's go outside, then take away the pads. If it's use the pads, then I would imagine it's like if my dog is outside - constant access to the "bathroom" and he goes a lot more frequently. If we're playing outside for an hour he may pee a few times, but he can go hours inside without peeing anywhere.

Is the dog waking you to take her out? Or is she just going on the floor/pads at night? Is she crate trained? Where is she sleeping?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you been to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI or anything that is making it difficult for her to hold it?

Are you trying to train her to the pads, or are you trying to train her to go outside? If it's go outside, then take away the pads. If it's use the pads, then I would imagine it's like if my dog is outside - constant access to the "bathroom" and he goes a lot more frequently. If we're playing outside for an hour he may pee a few times, but he can go hours inside without peeing anywhere.

Is the dog waking you to take her out? Or is she just going on the floor/pads at night? Is she crate trained? Where is she sleeping?
I never thought about a UTI or anything. She goes on the pads and outside. If I take her out I say Pee pee or poo poo for number 2's and she definitely knows what these mean as she will do it (especially if I have a treat in hand). I will try taking away the pads over the nxt few nights and let you know how I get on. She sleeps in the spare room on a double bed. We tried crate training for the first two weeks we had her but we were ultra distressed (as was she) when she was put in it and couldn't bear to hear her crying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts