Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a pure bred dog and have seen a few ads that say for example.. with AKC papers $ 800, w/o papers $ 400. I have no intention of breeding or showing my dog therefore papers serve little purpose to me beyond simple verification, but this seems a bit odd to me. Why would someone take off 50% for papers? Is getting a dog registered that much of a hassle.

Also, while I’m not looking to show/breed, I want to be sure of what I am buying… should I ask the breeder to show the papers for the parents?

Please advise..

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you're looking for a pet, and willing to pay that much, the most important thing a breeder can show you is the health testing records for both parents. Usually that's OFA or PennHIP scores. These tell you what the joints and the other breed problem areas of the parents look like, and thus how healthy you can reasonably expect your pet to be.

Generally speaking, the price won't be much, if any bit, higher than a breeder who sells without testing. The difference between someone who health tests and someone who doesn't is that the one who doesn't wants to make as much profit as possible. A responsible breeder who health tests will be able to provide you with papers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good info..

But, should this be a red flag? I'd presume the pups are from the same litter. if so, why would you offer some with papers for 'x' & the another w/o papers for 50% less? Just not sure how common this is..

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
good info..

But, should this be a red flag? I'd presume the pups are from the same litter. if so, why would you offer some with papers for 'x' & the another w/o papers for 50% less? Just not sure how common this is..
Yes, it's a red flag. I'd walk away from any kind of breeder who 'advertises' like that.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yes, it's a red flag. I'd walk away from any kind of breeder who 'advertises' like that.
Definitely. They do that because they can, and people will pay the extra, when it only really costs a little bit (less than $50 for sure but I don't know exactly) to file the paperwork. They sell it as you being able to make up the difference by breeding the dog and selling the puppies, even though the chance that one of their pups is breeding quality is slim.

Really good breeders don't usually advertise in the newspaper. Try the breed club's website instead.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

Run away from breeders that advertise like that. If you could tell us where you are (generally speaking) and what breed you are looking at, there are members here who could help you find an ethical breeder. If you get your dog from an unethical breeder (aka BYB or puppy mill), you are not only supporting someone who harms dogs and creates the massive overpopulation problem we have today, you are risking getting a very poorly bred dog with genetic illnesses and a bad temperament.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in southern Oklahoma.. looking for a Bull Terrier, but having a hard time finding one for less than $ 1200.. which is a bit more than I anticipated paying. I'm thinking this breed just might be out of my price range.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A reputable breeder wwould likely put you on a waiting list for a pup, since they only breed a few carefully planned litters a year. This would give you time to save up if this is the breed you really have your heart set on.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I think that a good breeder will be fairly open and clear about answering questions. Moreover, they will ask you questions and make you sign a contract that includes returning the puppy, if you have any problems. They love their puppies and have pride in the breeding. In addition, they'll raise the pups with lots of family, and may socialize and train the pups (at least house-training), refusing to release the pups earlier than 8 weeks, maybe holding onto the pups as long as 10 -12 weeks. Pups from a good breeder and raised in this way have a much better start in life and are worth the $1000 - $2000.

Having said that, I have never purchased a purebred, always adopting a mutt for $100 - $200 .... and I think I've been lucky....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in southern Oklahoma.. looking for a Bull Terrier, but having a hard time finding one for less than $ 1200.. which is a bit more than I anticipated paying. I'm thinking this breed just might be out of my price range.
Can I ask why you want a Bull Terrier? I ask because Bull Terriers are generally extremely active and intelligent dogs who need a LOT of exercise and mental stimulation. We see hundreds in the shelters in our state on a regular basis because people get one because they think they are cute and fun without doing research and being prepared. As soon as the dogs hit about 6-8 months, they dump the dog at a shelter because they can't handle the energy and subsequent destructiveness because of lack of exercise and mental stimulation. Bull Terriers are not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Well, given that there are so many in rescue, perhaps you could go that route. No, you wouldn't get a puppy, but you would get the breed you want, for a lot less money and you would be helping an animal in need. Plus, you can avoid the peeing everywhere and whining constantly puppy phase.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Good breeders will sometimes have adults available, as well -- dogs that were returned to them, or that they kept for show but that didn't turn out they way they wanted (structurally or temperament-wise -- some dogs just hate the show ring), or even retired breeding dogs (which are sometimes still only a few years old). It's definitely worth talking to a couple of good breeders even if you can't afford one of their dogs right now, because they will be familiar with other breeders who might have a dog in your price range, and many of them are involved in rescue as well and could point you towards a great dog or puppy that you might not even have heard about.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well, given that there are so many in rescue, perhaps you could go that route. No, you wouldn't get a puppy, but you would get the breed you want, for a lot less money and you would be helping an animal in need. Plus, you can avoid the peeing everywhere and whining constantly puppy phase.
I agree with this. It may even be possible to find a puppy, if that's what you really want. Check out petfinder.com - I see plenty of litters listed there.

Any specific reason you have your heart set on a purebred? A really good breeder will charge a lot for their puppies, because they've done the proper health testing. Purchasing from a second-rate breeder generally means forgoing this, and taking your chances. But there are no guarantees, even when the parents are both health tested for every problem common to the breed. I've known several puppies purchased from stellar breeders who have turned out to have debilitating problems. It's more common than you think.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
In Canada it is illegal to ask for more money for the dog with papers and less money for them without papers. You can sell them unregistered, but if you advertise them as registered, you have to supply the papers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts