Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new pom puppy named Kimchi! I got her at 14 weeks old and I thought I brought home a sweet puppy sent from heaven. The first week she told us when she needed to go potty outside and was all cuddles! When we took her out to socialize, everyone was so surprised “she is so quiet for a pomeranian!” Now 2 weeks later, I think she may be possessed lol. She is still an angel when we’re out and people say, “omg she’s so sweet”... little do they know that she has these wild outbursts of running around in the yard in all different directions, trying to bite and eat everything in sight, and developing severe separation anxiety when I leave! I’ve read several books and watched a tons of videos on what to do. Unfortunately the breeder that I got her from didn’t provide very much health history so I had to restart her on shots... so she can’t join group puppy training quite yet. I’m meeting with an in-house puppy trainer tomorrow and hopefully with her help and this forum, I can have my sweet baby back lol!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
That is...really, really normal for a puppy. Any puppy. The wild running around outburst are called "zoomies" and they are a normal part of puppyhood (and even adult dogs get them when they get excited sometimes). Nipping, eating non-food items, and all sorts of shenanigans are all normal puppy behavior. They don't come knowing what is a toy, what's not, what is food, what is not, that they can't play with humans like they would play with other dogs, etc. You have to teach them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yep you have a completely normal puppy. The good news is with training and age it will get better :)

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
First off-- I love her name!!

Second-- normal puppy behavior. And also normal new dog behavior in the beginning, in that many times a new dog of any age is fairly quiet and calm for the first week or two. A new home is a stressful event and the uncertainty of it all can cause a minor emotional shutdown or kind of cautiousness. Then once relaxed, the energy comes bursting out full force. Which in a puppy or young dog can be "wild" behavior.

Build routines and structure, work her mind with training and interaction, and she'll grow up eventually :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts