Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all out there. Im in the army stationed over here in korea and me and my wife just rescued our 1st dog. (ive had 2 in the past) I havent even come up with a name for him yet, his previous name from his previous owner is dartanian. Hes a maltese/chihauha mix supposedly and hes 6 months old. Hes been bounced from home to home to home because alot of army families over here want dogs but cant raise them then just dont want them and kick them to the curb.

Im looking for advice on how to paper train him. My last yorkie was 100% paper trained and it was so much easier. Today i bought him puppy pads and and puppy pad holder and he went by himself and peed on it but i want him to do this 100% of the time. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
What a cute puppy! More pics please!

There are people here that are more experienced than I am on this subject - my dog was 100% trained when he came to me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A variety of suggestions... pick any that you like:
1. Read up on litter box training for small dogs.
2. The normal approach is to confine with a crate (when alone) for a few months, - See House-Training or Crate Training
3A. Paper Training: The method that we used decades ago was to confine the pup in a room that was covered in newspaper. The water and food and bed were placed in one corner.
B. Typically the puppy will pee in a number of places and poop in a smaller area. Pick up all the soiled newspaper and replace with fresh newspaper. Then, place a tiny piece of soiled newspaper - just for the smell, in the corner opposite from the food and bed.
C. Repeat as needed - a few times a day. When you replace the freshly soiled paper, you only need a piece the size of a quarter... The smell is like a blinking red sign that says bathroom. I do recommend both pee and poop, and you can just smear them a few inches apart on the fresh newspaper to leave the smell.
D. When the pup is hitting the same area reliably, remove some of the unsoiled newspaper, reducing the target area. Continue to seed the targeted area with the smear of eau de poop. When the pup is reliable within a square yard or less, start using the pads on top of the newspaper, adding the smell smear to the pad, rather than the newspaper. After a week, remove the newspaper.

Feel free to modify, speed up or slow down these general instructions. Note - I haven't used this process in 40 years!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts