Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Your first puppy, or your first dog? Because if your first dog is a husky, you have my sympathies, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your first puppy, or your first dog? Because if your first dog is a husky, you have my sympathies, lol.
First of both hahaha never owned a dog before , various other animals but never a dog it's been my dream I'm finally old enough and responsible enough to raise a dog in my family's house. All I'm doing right now is reading reading reading! From potty training to escape proofing the yard. It's going to be a crazy experience I feel...

How exciting, congrats!
thank you!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Be sure that among that reading is plenty on the breed you're going for.
They're not even comparable to most other breeds, Lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
You guys are scaring me, and it isn't even my dog. How about some information in addition to the Vincent Price snickering? :- )

"Huskies! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!!!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure that among that reading is plenty on the breed you're going for.
They're not even comparable to most other breeds, Lol
Definitely reading only on Siberian Huskys. I'm watching YouTube videos and reading exclusive husky articals!
You guys are scaring me, and it isn't even my dog. How about some information in addition to the Vincent Price snickering? :- )
This thread did scare me though!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Definitely reading only on Siberian Huskys. I'm watching YouTube videos and reading exclusive husky articals!

To clarify, the reason that you're getting the types of responses you are is because on this forum, we get a lot of people who come along and say "I'm getting a first dog, it's a Husky/GSD/Malamute". In reality, those breeds (amongst others) are a very poor choice for a first dog for a large number of reasons.

The largest reason is that those breeds, due to their more "wolf-ish" appearance, are generally gravitated towards because of their physical appeal. Very few first time dog owners adopt a Husky because they like the temperament of the breed. They adopt one because they like the look or have seen cute youtube videos where Huskies are making odd noises or 'talking' to their owners.

Another reason those breeds make poor first time dogs (generally), is because of the high amount of exercise they require. You will need to be prepared to exercise your Husky about an hour a day, when he/she is mature. And not "exercise" like, two 30 minute walks around the neighborhood. Huskies are bred to run, they have a lot of stamina and therefore require a lot of extra care that say, a Lab or Golden Retriever, wouldn't.

Finally, Huskies are pretty independent from their owners (generally), are a bit of a training challenge and have a high prey drive. You will not be able to trust your dog off leash. Ever. You will have to work very hard (I'd recommend professional training courses, as you don't have training experience) to train your dog.

I'll be really honest - it's a bad choice for a first time owner. Understimulated Huskies howl constantly and destroy homes. My gut instinct is that you chose a Husky because of the way it looks, and if so, I strongly encourage you to reconsider. The most important thing about a dog is how it fits into your lifestyle, NOT its physical appearance. Even if your dog is beautiful, both you and he/she will be unhappy if you cannot provide the type of environment a Husky really needs.

I do not mean to scare you, I mean to be honest about the breed you've chosen and the limitations it will impose upon your life. It will be a rough ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

To clarify, the reason that you're getting the types of responses you are is because on this forum, we get a lot of people who come along and say "I'm getting a first dog, it's a Husky/GSD/Malamute". In reality, those breeds (amongst others) are a very poor choice for a first dog for a large number of reasons.

The largest reason is that those breeds, due to their more "wolf-ish" appearance, are generally gravitated towards because of their physical appeal. Very few first time dog owners adopt a Husky because they like the temperament of the breed. They adopt one because they like the look or have seen cute youtube videos where Huskies are making odd noises or 'talking' to their owners.

Another reason those breeds make poor first time dogs (generally), is because of the high amount of exercise they require. You will need to be prepared to exercise your Husky about an hour a day, when he/she is mature. And not "exercise" like, two 30 minute walks around the neighborhood. Huskies are bred to run, they have a lot of stamina and therefore require a lot of extra care that say, a Lab or Golden Retriever, wouldn't.

Finally, Huskies are pretty independent from their owners (generally), are a bit of a training challenge and have a high prey drive. You will not be able to trust your dog off leash. Ever. You will have to work very hard (I'd recommend professional training courses, as you don't have training experience) to train your dog.

I'll be really honest - it's a bad choice for a first time owner. Understimulated Huskies howl constantly and destroy homes. My gut instinct is that you chose a Husky because of the way it looks, and if so, I strongly encourage you to reconsider. The most important thing about a dog is how it fits into your lifestyle, NOT its physical appearance. Even if your dog is beautiful, both you and he/she will be unhappy if you cannot provide the type of environment a Husky really needs.

I do not mean to scare you, I mean to be honest about the breed you've chosen and the limitations it will impose upon your life. It will be a rough ride.
I understand where you are coming from I should have maybe given more back round on why I choose this breed as you're right huskies have huge separation problems. I choose the breed though because of uncle we went camping with his Alaskan huskie and Siberian. It was unforgettable when we mushed them! We latched them up to the bike and he was teaching me the commands I've already contacted him and he'll be helping my through this process and I'll be making another thread of my "plan" to raise the husky. Professional dog training was always in the question as you said they are a stubborn breed. I'm not expecting to teach him a lot of "tricks" since they only perform when it's in it for them. As a family we are just looking for a sweet loving relaxed dog and that's exactly what my uncles huskies were! I'm willing to put in the time I feel like that what counts?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Yeah I just always swoop in and nudge that at everyone who says they are getting, they want, or just got, a husky.

Because shelters are flooded with them, and I see them on chains and locked in kennels because people aren't prepared. I would rather scare someone out of the breed, then sugar coat someone into getting a dog they might not be prepared for.

I'm the caution hawk SCREECH.

But... Huskies are not calm, relaxed dogs, in general. They can be if you put in the exercise and mental stimulation. If your uncle exercises his that way often, then yes they likely are pretty chill. But you should be prepared to do the same.
If you can, and you can deal with the shedding, the loud talking, the prey drive, and the tenancy to run away simba and never return, then you're golden.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
As a family we are just looking for a sweet loving relaxed dog and that's exactly what my uncles huskies were! I'm willing to put in the time I feel like that what counts?
If you are looking for a sweet, loving, relaxed dog, a Husky is not for you. While your uncle's Huskies (and some others) may behave that way, "sweet", "loving" and "relaxed" are not words you would use to describe the typical Husky.

It's really easy to say you're willing to "put in the time" after you've spent a weekend with one. But imagine "putting in the time" for years. You will literally need to exercise your dog a moderate to large amount. Nearly every day.

If you're bound and determined, then I do wish you luck. Please make sure you find a reputable breeder. There's a lot of money to be had in Huskies because puppies are an easy sell to owners who have no idea what they're getting into, which means a lot of unethical and BYB sell them. If you have any questions about the breeder you find, feel free to post them here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts