Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago our puppy finally finished having all vaccines at which time we have gradually started taking him outside for walks/runs/hikes etc... Before he was only allowed outside on our balcony where he was eliminating and I would wait a day to pick up after him as I wanted to make sure the feces was dried up. Now that I pick up immediately I have become aware that his eliminations are formed yet very soft. Generally a lil harder in the morning then quite soft in the afternoon. The other thing is that he has gas that seems to have gotten worse since he has been going outside. He has eaten a lil grass but never gotten into any garbage or anything else. He eats twice a day in the mornig and at night a total of 3-4 cups of dry food and he is 40 pounds. It's entirely possible that the stools were always like this and that I was not aware of the stools being so soft because I would wait a day before. I feed him Kirklands natural puppy chow- dry food. He seems to have the same energy though its tough to tell as he gets a lot of exercise now. Should I gradually change up his diet? any suggestions?? is there cause for concern? Please help, and thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It sounds to me like he isn't digesting the food very well. Perhaps he needs 3 meals a day. Perhaps it is is just too much food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've changed him back to 3 times a day and I am going to decrease the total amount of food he get from 4 cups to 3 for a while to see if that helps. I am also changing to california natural food as I want to rule out allergies to food. Thank you for your suggestions, I will let you know in a week as I gradually switch up his food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts