Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is 16 weeks old. I got all the vaccines and tick/flea/heartworm stuff done. I feed her very good quality dog food and all of her stools were very solid and she seemed to be doing great until 3 days ago

I suspect part of the problem is we were giving her way too much dairy - we were giving her whipped cream all the time. Also I was putting some coconut oil in all of her meals. Well I stopped doing that and she's still having diarrhea - it doesn't seem to be getting any better

What should I do? Could she have caught some kind of parasite? I watch her like a hawk - I'm either playing with her or I put her in the cage. She doesn't eat anything without me watching her and I haven't seen her eat any garbage or anything. I'm gonna start feeding her bland food (rice and chicken) starting tomorrow. Anything else you guys recommend?

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
Plain canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling with sugar and spices) sometimes helps. If it goes on for more than a few days, a vet visit with a stool sample is in order. Giardia, for example, is fairly common and treatable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plain canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling with sugar and spices) sometimes helps. If it goes on for more than a few days, a vet visit with a stool sample is in order. Guardia, for example, is fairly common and treatable.

is it normal for diarrhea to last a week or so?

my girl doesn't eat any garbage - I watch her very intently and she got all her shots done. How would she catch a parasite?

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
No, it's not normal.

There are a myriad of ways a dog can get a parasite, but they can also get very soft stools from a food that's too rich (and it could be a high-quality food that just doesn't work for your dog) or from too much of it.

But first I'd take in a stool sample to get it checked. If the dog has been seen recently, that may not require an office visit but call first to check.

The vet can probably also tell you what parasites they've been seeing in your area.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yeah, a vet check is going to be a good idea if she's had diarrhea for more than a couple days. Young puppies dehydrate fast and that can be pretty dangerous. My poodle had a bad round of stomach problems about a month ago, and even though he's a mature adult (almost 8), he wound up getting a fluid drip, prescription probiotics, and activated charcoal after one night of vomiting followed by about three days of very sloppy stools. He wasn't at death's door or anything, but dehydration can cause a lot of other things to go wrong and make recovery harder.

Puppies pick things up. They explore the world with their mouths, and are always licking and chewing on things that they probably shouldn't. And that's okay - like with human kids, living in an over-sanitized world isn't good for their immune system - but it does mean that sometimes they'll get common parasites or bacterial infections and you won't know where they came from. A vet can usually tell very quickly from a fresh stool sample if you're dealing with a parasite, and treatments for most are super safe and easy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, a vet check is going to be a good idea if she's had diarrhea for more than a couple days. Young puppies dehydrate fast and that can be pretty dangerous. My poodle had a bad round of stomach problems about a month ago, and even though he's a mature adult (almost 8), he wound up getting a fluid drip, prescription probiotics, and activated charcoal after one night of vomiting followed by about three days of very sloppy stools. He wasn't at death's door or anything, but dehydration can cause a lot of other things to go wrong and make recovery harder.

Puppies pick things up. They explore the world with their mouths, and are always licking and chewing on things that they probably shouldn't. And that's okay - like with human kids, living in an over-sanitized world isn't good for their immune system - but it does mean that sometimes they'll get common parasites or bacterial infections and you won't know where they came from. A vet can usually tell very quickly from a fresh stool sample if you're dealing with a parasite, and treatments for most are super safe and easy.
outside of the diarrhea/soft stools, nothing else has been problematic. She seems to be feeling great, can play all day, can eat everything in sight

today I only gave her chicken and rice and she hasn't pooped all day. STrong wtf?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It's good that she's doing well. Just saying that puppies can go downhill fast, and sometimes it's better to arrange a planned vet visit and address the source of the problem ASAP than waiting to see if it improves, only to have the pup crash on a weekend, evening, or holiday and wind up with emergency vet bills and paying for an IV fluid drip.

You can always call your vet and see what they recommend. Phone calls are free, after all.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm not sure why you're feeding coconut oil and whipped cream to your pup, but personally I would stop doing that.

With the whipped cream, lactose intolerance can be an issue. And lactose intolerance can often be the direct cause of diarrhea. There is some concern as well regarding pancreatitis and diabetes. Coconut oil can also carry some risks, although they're relatively infrequent. If a 16 week pup is being fed a truly high-quality kibble or commercially available puppy diet to begin with (which are typically higher in fat content compared to adult diets), there really should be no need to supplement it with other ingredients at this young age. At the very least I would allow their digestive system to mature first, and then go from there whether supplements are warranted or not. But that's just me and my opinion, and it's probably better for you to rely on the advice of your veterinarian, tailored to the specific requirements of your dog in particular.

Here are a few links that provide some basic information and guidelines.

https://www.cuteness.com/13722515/can-dogs-eat-whipped-cream

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure why you're feeding coconut oil and whipped cream to your pup, but personally I would stop doing that.

With the whipped cream, lactose intolerance can be an issue. And lactose intolerance can often be the direct cause of diarrhea. There is some concern as well regarding pancreatitis and diabetes. Coconut oil can also carry some risks, although they're relatively infrequent. If a 16 week pup is being fed a truly high-quality kibble or commercially available puppy diet to begin with (which are typically higher in fat content compared to adult diets), there really should be no need to supplement it with other ingredients at this young age. At the very least I would allow their digestive system to mature first, and then go from there whether supplements are warranted or not. But that's just me and my opinion, and it's probably better for you to rely on the advice of your veterinarian, tailored to the specific requirements of your dog in particular.

Here are a few links that provide some basic information and guidelines.

https://www.cuteness.com/13722515/can-dogs-eat-whipped-cream

I gave her some coconut oil to get rid of dandruff on her coat

anyways, i think it was the whipped cream. She doesn't have any symptoms of a bug - no vomiting, fever, pain eating or anything like that but what's weird is she hasn't pooped in 1.3 days so far. today I put some dog food along with chicken rice in her meal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pits have a lot of food allergies, and need more calorically dense food then a lot of dogs. Many foods (even high quality ones) are not really suited for them. I know you said you were feeding high quality food, but what kind? I've heard Royal canine is a good option for pits with sensitive tummies. It's highly recommended as a reset food. You ll want to cut out the dairy, it's not good for them. Plain Greek yougart might be ok. I feed that to my girl a couple times a week and it seems to help. Also skip the treats, if you haven't already. Use plain boiled chicken for now. I hope he feels better.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It might be formulated with pit bills in mind, but that still doesn't mean that it's the right food for her.

Also, overfeeding a calorie dense food can cause loose stools. Over feeding a food that already doesn't agree with her can be a double whammy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea, I'd reign that in. That's for seriously working pits. Unless your baby is running marathons that's too much. I do taste of the wilderness (dry) and baby blue (wet). Blue buffalo is good, orijen is also a popular choice. Im sure there are more but those are the ones I know of. I'd try one of them the royal canine is what I've heard recommend if you have to move yo an elimination diet, or have pancreatitis issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
She is 16 weeks old. I got all the vaccines and tick/flea/heartworm stuff done. I feed her very good quality dog food and all of her stools were very solid and she seemed to be doing great until 3 days ago

I suspect part of the problem is we were giving her way too much dairy - we were giving her whipped cream all the time. Also I was putting some coconut oil in all of her meals. Well I stopped doing that and she's still having diarrhea - it doesn't seem to be getting any better

What should I do? Could she have caught some kind of parasite? I watch her like a hawk - I'm either playing with her or I put her in the cage. She doesn't eat anything without me watching her and I haven't seen her eat any garbage or anything. I'm gonna start feeding her bland food (rice and chicken) starting tomorrow. Anything else you guys recommend?
Read down some of these Be careful giving too many shots at once and using a lot of chemical things...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts