Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
16 week old malamute - smells bad...

My malamute puppy is 16 weeks old today. For the past several days, she has smelled really badly. Her crate stinks too, despite multiple cleanings.

My male golden retriever has never smelled like this in the 4 years we've had him.

I'm familiar with the smell of anal glands, it's not that. I'm also familiar with the smell of a nasty ear infection, it's not that, either.

In fact, it doesn't really seem to be focused on any particular area of her body. She pretty much stinks from head to tail. I just gave her a bath yesterday, and my wife just texted me to say that she already smells again.

I've read that sometimes poor quality food can cause such problems, but she's been on Innova puppy food for the past 8 weeks.

My wife just suggested that maybe she's going into heat. I didn't expect a large breed pup to go anywhere near this early. I was planning on having her fixed at 5 months. I haven't seen any blood or licking yet. Is there a smell that precedes the bleeding?

Another anomaly that may or may not be related. She has pretty much been doing very well with her housebreaking, not having any accidents in the house for a couple weeks, but yesterday she peed in the house about 5 times. Is this also a sign of going into heat?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I doubt a 16 week old is going into heat ... it's too young. I suggest you take her to the vet to check infections ... if she's healthy, change food. My girl stinks like nothing else on some food.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I've never heard of a dog that young going into heat. It is normal for some dogs to back-slide on their housebreaking but with that, in additon to the smell, I'd take her to the vet for a check up. If she gets a clean bill of health, back up on the housebreaking a bit. Take her out more often and keep her close to you, as you did when she was younger. Some dogs need a little reminder at that age.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
For her size, that's really too young for her to go into heat (I did hear of a small dog--I think a Maltese?--that went into heat at 16 weeks, but larger dogs mature later). I would guess a bladder infection, especially with the frequent peeing. Best to have the vet check her out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we took her to the vet yesterday, and she's not going into heat, she doesn't have a UTI, and she doesn't have any other sort of infection. The vet says she seems very healthy.

So.......

He did say that switching her food could help, despite the fact that she's already on a high quality food, so we've started transitioning her over to the Canidae ALS that we feed our golden.

Since this smell has only been occurring for the past 3-4 days, my wife and I were trying to think of anything that has changed recently. One thing that occurred to me is that just within the last week or so, she has discovered the "joys" of raiding the cats' litter box, and we have caught her fishing for poop multiple times recently. I wonder of ingesting poop and/or cat litter could be causing this odor to emanate from her skin/coat? Seems possible to me. We sealed off the litter box with a baby gate, so we'll see if this helps her aroma.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My girl gets a somewhat oily coat and gets smelly on certain food. She's on a grain free formula, but even within those that are considered first class dog food I notice a difference. If she's on IVO she's fine ... but her ears tend to get really waxy and dirty fast. If she's on Instinct (grain free) she starts stinking like ...YUCK. When she's on Orijen Fish the stink comes and goes, on Orijen Adult she's fine and there's no 'stink' at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's amazing that there could be that drastic of a difference just from the food alone. Thanks for the input Hast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts