Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mystery mix dog we adopted 11 years ago is now 15 years old. He's got a lot of energy but every now and then he just curls up into a ball and rather not be bothered.

There is nothing wrong with him medically other than his age. We just had both our dogs yearly exams and shots done.

What I wonder is whether or not I should be doing anything for him different than *just* feeding him once a day and letting him out to do his business. That's about all he does. (when he's not digging his way out under our fence, but that's a topic for another day). And lets not forget the daily attention and cuddles. ;)

Are there any supplements I should be giving him as an elderly dog?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
First off, I wouldn't do vaccines anymore. Rabies if you must, but the rest.... likely doing more damage then good to do annual vaccines on an old dog. Instead have bloodwork run to see if there's anything going wrong and then every six months to a year to monitor for changes. Yearly exams of a vet looking at them isn't going to tell you if their liver, kidney or other organs are working great or not.

Second a joint supplement wouldn't hurt and would be a wise idea. My two are over five and on supplements mainly because they have no interest in not creaming themselves..

A daily walk, even if it's just around the block, also wouldn't hurt, I'm sure he'd enjoy the outing. My very old girl at the end (13) loved getting the chance to go out to the park and sniff and roll, she wasn't into racing around but loved the thought that she got to come along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely a walk. Don't push him too hard but even an older dog needs to have some energy spent and some fun.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Daily walks are good for keeping them from getting stiff, and actually helps arthritis. Nothing too brisk or tiring. Just getting out, moving, and sniffing. Give a joint supplement like a combo pill of Glucosamine,chondroitin sulfate and MSM. You can get the ones for people at the grocery store, and give the adult people dose. Also giving a fish oil capsule daily can help. It reduces imflammation, helps heart, boosts immunity and helps skin/coat. ( get the ones for people. You can pierce it with a pin, and squeeze it over food once a day).

Sometimes feeding out of raised bowls is easier for the old guys, when they start to get creaky and stiff. If you ever notice him looking at his food and walking away, put the bowl on a raised surface, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't usually walk him but I am going to start walking around the block once a day for personal exercise and will alternate between him and my other dog who's 6 yrs old. He's got bad hips and knees so I'm sure he would benefit from the supplements as well.

thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts