Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so we'll see how it goes!

We have a 15 week old Yorkie Poo puppy named Louis who is the cutest. He's been with us since December 29th has brought so much joy to our home but won't sleep for the life of him.

Let me first preface everything with the fact that Louis is a little guy - he was 1.04 pounds at the first weigh in and now is at 2.6 pounds. When we first got Louis he did have a cold and was put on antibiotics from the vet which helped pretty quickly. After his 12 week shots we took him to PetSmart to get wet dog food becuase he wasn't eating... apparently he got Kennel Cough from being in the store for 3 minutes and is now on a mix of Amoxicillin and cough medicine with codeine to help the coughing and allow him to rest.

A few nights before he got sick he started sleeping through the night a solid 3 times in a row. Since being sick he doesn't sleep AT ALL. We play with him non-stop until he goes to bed at 10:30 so he should be tired. He'll be up crying and barking for 10 minutse at a time starting at 130 and then 230 and 4 and 5 until we finally get him out.

I feel like we MUST be doing something wrong for the poor little guy to cry all night. He's at home during the day in a dog pen (with pee pad, toys, and room to run not to mention his kennel) and has a dog walker come twice during the day. The most he's alone is for 2.5 hours at a time.

Do you think it's from the medicine, or the cold, or something we're doing? HELP!!!!

Thanks.
Vanessa

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Am I understanding right that he sleeps until 130, then barks for about 10 minutes, then sleeps until 230, then barks for about 10 minutes, and so on, rather than barking continuously from 130-5 am?

What do you do when he barks?

Just asking for clarification before I answer. :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Am I understanding right that he sleeps until 130, then barks for about 10 minutes, then sleeps until 230, then barks for about 10 minutes, and so on, rather than barking continuously from 130-5 am?

What do you do when he barks?

Just asking for clarification before I answer. :)
Sounds like he is asking for potty breaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you're exactly right he'll cry for 10 minutes almost every hour. We initially thought he was asking for a bathroom break which is why we put in the pee pads (he uses these during the day) and he almost never using them during the nights.

When this first started I got out of bed and laid next to his set up which was in the other room and put my hand inside to help calm him down. This only got him more upset which I can only assume was because I was so close but wouldn't hold him. We also tried sleeping with the crate in our bedroom which didn't change ANYTHING. Now we've been trying to use "tough love" and let him cry it out but it's really not proving to help too much.

So sad

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is he still sick? Is he still coughing? It may be that he can't sleep because he is stuffed up just like you or I would be if we had a cold. Is that a possibiity?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well, I wonder if he's either crying for potty breaks or crying for attention. I do think that some puppies and dogs feel more "clingy" when they're sick or injured just like some people do. It's hard, though, because you don't want to reward the crying.

I feel for you, I have an almost 12 week old puppy myself. He'd been sleeping through the night, but then started having some problems with soft stools so I don't want to ignore those overnight cries in case he really had to go. So what I've been doing is just very, very businesslike potty trips. No baby talk, no playing, no extra attention. Just outside, go potty, back inside & into the crate. Maybe that would work with your puppy even if he's mainly crying for attention, maybe he'll learn that overnight crying just earns him a trip outside?

Maybe someone with more puppy experience will chime in. I'm still getting the hang of this young puppy stuff myself. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, I wonder if he's either crying for potty breaks or crying for attention. I do think that some puppies and dogs feel more "clingy" when they're sick or injured just like some people do. It's hard, though, because you don't want to reward the crying.

I feel for you, I have an almost 12 week old puppy myself. He'd been sleeping through the night, but then started having some problems with soft stools so I don't want to ignore those overnight cries in case he really had to go. So what I've been doing is just very, very businesslike potty trips. No baby talk, no playing, no extra attention. Just outside, go potty, back inside & into the crate. Maybe that would work with your puppy even if he's mainly crying for attention, maybe he'll learn that overnight crying just earns him a trip outside?

Maybe someone with more puppy experience will chime in. I'm still getting the hang of this young puppy stuff myself. :)

I didn't read all the posts (just wanted to see if there was any news about Squash---sorry OP), but soft stools are super normal when you've just brought home a new pup. Their stressed, their food may have changed (not sure if you did), and it's usually no big deal. Just keep doing what you're doing, and all should work out. You can add a little pumpkin to his food (not pie filling, tho), and that might help firm it up.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I didn't read all the posts (just wanted to see if there was any news about Squash---sorry OP), but soft stools are super normal when you've just brought home a new pup. Their stressed, their food may have changed (not sure if you did), and it's usually no big deal. Just keep doing what you're doing, and all should work out. You can add a little pumpkin to his food (not pie filling, tho), and that might help firm it up.
Thanks. :) I know Cinny was having some problems, too, I know Diane had to experiment a bit with her diet. This morning I started him on rice/hamburger and I'll wean back to his kibble when his stools look better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts