Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there everyone,

So my husband and I decided against getting a GSD and wound up getting a rescue dog. We've had her since June 8th and just love her to death. She's a Golden Retriever with a recessive brindle gene. She's pretty nifty.

Anyhoo, she's been sick since I got her. We tried to switch her over from Nutro to Blue Buffalo. This resulted in chronic diarrhea and my vet put her on some medication (Metronidazole 2x daily & imodium 2x daily). Thankfully it seems that is getting better after two weeks on this Hill's I.D. Formula diet (though she definitely lost some weight on this food - which I'm not thrilled about).

That being said, I'm wondering if this is why we're having such a hard time potty training her. I'm home 24/7 and at this point she pretty much goes with me everywhere because of the stomach problems she's been having. When we're in my office, she continues to constantly go into the corner and pee. I catch her in the middle of it constantly, tell her to stop which she does and then put her outside while I clean it up (I was told in training with Otto not to clean it up in front of them).

I'm just really unsure as to how to do this. Otto wasn't an easy potty dog either, he had a lot of issues but they stemmed from SA, she doesn't have SA at all but she has no signs that she needs to pee either, she just goes to the corner and pees.

Not sure how to handle this, figured I'd ask you guys. :) I'm just curious as to a better routine I could be doing (it's 10:17, I've taken her out 6 times since 9AM and she's already tried to go once in the corner even though she's peed outside three times).

Also, could it be a UI? I'm not super familiar with female dogs. The only other one I've had was for a month and she was already trained when I got her. But Charlie is licking ... that area ... all the time, especially at night. Haven't noticed anything there, but just trying to think of why she just... goes.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

--------------------------

Oh and a side note: From this ID formula, do you think that could cause some kind of nutritional deficiency? She keeps trying to eat rocks and grass.

And she is not nightly crate trained, but is fine in one during the day. At night she sleeps on a cool-a-roo. We've never had her have an accident (potty-wise) at night, even once. She did have a #2 accident last night, but it was clear it was from being sick. So clearly, she can hold it for many hours.

This is Charlie & I. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I would have a vet check for a UTI. With the food I have no clue. Be careful with the rocks. If she eats a big one or too many she can get a blockage.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I agree - rule out anything medical first. Also, ensure you're really cleaning that corner well and not leaving anything behind. If it still continues, I'd tether her to you while she gets the pottying thing under control.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Vet check first then potty training 101. That means when she is with you in the office, she needs to be tethered to you. That way you will know when she pulls away to go potty. He's adorable!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have a vet check for a UTI. With the food I have no clue. Be careful with the rocks. If she eats a big one or too many she can get a blockage.
Yeah, I think I'm going to discuss that with my husband tonight. Since he's here for the weekend we'll be able to monitor this better together (four eyes are better than two) and if it's not getting better by Monday, I'll call my vet. He's amazing and he'll have advice, I'm sure.

As far as the rocks go, yeah, I know. I keep freaking out and I'd love to tether her outside like I do with Otto and like I did with Zoey, but we have rocks under the deck and in the yard (we live in a very rocky area) and she's always got them in her mouth. This is a new thing, it started right after she got sick from the food transitioning. I'll probably discuss that with the vet too.

I agree - rule out anything medical first. Also, ensure you're really cleaning that corner well and not leaving anything behind. If it still continues, I'd tether her to you while she gets the pottying thing under control.

Good luck!
I've been using this stuff called "OUT!" that I got at Walmart for Hardwood floors. Supposed to keep it down for 3 minutes and then clean the spray up. I keep doing that but she still goes to the same spot, every time. The tethering thing is odd, I've tried it and she tried to rip her own head off, so I removed her from it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is she leash trained at all? The tring to pull her own head off thing may just be because she was panicking over something new. Our younger dog Sydney was a little bit more throuble to potty train than the first, but I just kept an eagle eye on her and took her out about every half hour for the first week or so, then every hour, and so on and so forth. Puppies are a pain that way, but so dang cute its worth it! She is super adorable by the way!

I have always thought that girls were more easy to potty train than boys, but thats because I've only ever had girls! We had a boy foster puppy for a little while and I think he piddled in the house more during that short time than my two girls did the entire time they were in training!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
SHE'S CUTE! :)

You've gotten some great advice so far! One more thing I'd add is that it is really important to go outside WITH her and reward her when she finishes pottying outside. You'd mentioned that she went out and you stayed in to clean up. This is fine, as long as you have watched her pee and rewarded her before you go back inside to clean up.

Hope the diarrhea clears up for good. That doesn't sound fun!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SHE'S CUTE! :)

You've gotten some great advice so far! One more thing I'd add is that it is really important to go outside WITH her and reward her when she finishes pottying outside. You'd mentioned that she went out and you stayed in to clean up. This is fine, as long as you have watched her pee and rewarded her before you go back inside to clean up.

Hope the diarrhea clears up for good. That doesn't sound fun!
Thank you, this is the first female dog I've ever really dug. :)

Yeah, we've been doing that. But see, she pees weird. She will pee a little, walk, a little, walk and then stop. One would assume she was out of pee. She comes and sits for her reward and then goes inside and pees again. Sometimes, of course, we wait longer and she'll do this four times out there. I've never seen a dog pee and walk like this haha. I never know when she's done and she always walks up the steps like shes finished. It's very confusing.

But we've definitely been doing the reward thing. I've got her on those little "Blue Bits" by Blue Buffalo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to my vet last yesterday afternoon. He calmed a couple of my fears and of course had to give me a new one:

1) She's most likely not taking to potty training because of the illness. Now that she's getting better, she should start "getting it" soon.
2) The weight loss is most likely due to underfeeding. He's not sure he prescribed enough food a day but now she should gain some weight overt the next week or two because we've modified her intake and also started mixing in the Blue. Which is great, because I really hate this wet food.
3) The rocks, my new fear. He said it's a puppy thing. I asked if she'd grow out of it and he said it's possible that she won't. He has a 10 year old dog he's never gotten to stop eating them. SO, he said to just keep trying to teach her that it's unacceptable to eat them. Hopefully I can get her to get it. :p

Well, one step at a time. Hopefully we can see improvement here shortly. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Teach her the command Leave it, for the rocks. It works wonders for other things as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Teach her the command Leave it, for the rocks. It works wonders for other things as well.
Thanks! We've been working on this, actually. Otto's pretty good at it for the most part (we use it for letting go of the ball when playing fetch). She's starting to learn things easier as she grows more.

Last night we were at my grandmothers farm, and her entire driveway/parking lot is nothing but rocks, so we got some practice in there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought I would give you all an update since so many of you had helpful suggestions!

Charlie is doing better. She had actually kicked the diarrhea completely and went onto normal Blue Buffalo (Duck) food. However, two days ago my husband stupidly left the basement door open for our cat and she got into the cat food. It's back, not as bad as before and it comes and goes. I'm sure she'll get over this bought quickly.

That being said, to the person who said they thought she might have a UTI, you are correct mam-sir! The vet waited until she was over her diarrhea to diagnose it, but did a urine test yesterday and it came back positive for a UTI. She's now on two weeks worth of Clavamox.

Even still, the potty training is getting better. We're down to about one accident a day, from around five or so, so I'm pretty optimistic. I left her in her crate alone in the house for the first time today for about three hours or so and she did splendidly (thank god for Kongs and Kong filler!).

So thank you all for your help, previously. We very much appreciated it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts