Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Our 15 week old papillion Louis, is so adorable, however after having him 2 weeks he is still not settling at night (he is in a crate in the kitchen). He literally cries from the moment we go to bed until we get up, he is never ever left alone apart from at night, unless it's in the car whilst we pop in to the petrol station for example, even then although he can see us, he still cries. The reason he is never left alone is I work from home and when I do have to go out I take him to my mams. The first week or so he was just as happy at my mams as he was at home but now he had started crying from the moment we leave until one of us comes back.

He is in a crate at night only because this is what the breeder recommended, but as soon as we go out of the room at night within 5 minutes he has poop and weed in his crate, we go back in clean it up and put him back in, but the crying continues until morning.

We have tried leaving a night light on for him, leaving a radio on, ticking clock, all to no avail. My husband actually slept with him in a sleeping bag one night and he slept right through without doing his business. However we informed the vet of this and she said that was not a good idea to have the dog sleep next to you or even in your room because it can cause dominance problems, she said if you do so you are making a rod for your own back.

Please can anyone advise.

Also he seems to be getting a little aggressive, well in truth the other day he bit me, my son who is 12 and my mam.

Hope someone can give me some advise :)

Thanks

Dee

·
Registered
620 Posts
The reason he cries is because he wants to be with you and your husband. It is normal especially if he is not alone the rest of the day.

Did you guys crate train him? If not, that may be the problem.

I'm no vet but on the dominance issue, I have never heard of such thing. I would try putting him in the crate in your bedroom so that he can see you guys. Or you could also put him in the crate in the hall just outside the bedroom with the room door open of course.

I personally have my puppy sleep with us in our bedroom. She sleeps on a dog bed on the floor right next to the bed and doesn't make a sound until morning when she needs to go out to potty. She also doesn't go potty in our bedroom while we're sleeping. And we don't have any dominance problems.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
First off, this is sooo familiar. Mia cried all night for the first weeks. What I did was shut the door upstairs and ignored her all night. She screamed and cried, but do not let them out until they're quiet or it will teach them that screaming means they get let out. It's tough to do, I know but it's beneficial.

I have a dog with separation anxiety and it sounds to me like you're setting up your dog for that too. You do not want this at all. Paps and companion breeds in general seem to be very prone to this. Being with people is their job, their sole purpose in life and that's what they want more than anything else. He needs to learn being alone is okay. Make being alone fun for him. Give him stuffed kongs, chewies, toys, etc when you leave. He needs to spend some time alone daily to learn that it's okay. Keep it short if possible and as positive as possible. He will cry. Just don't get him out until he calms down.

I would not have a 15 week old sleep in the bed with you just because of accidents. It could really set back pottytraining. That said, I have Summer sleep with me. The whole dominance thing imo is bogus.

Paps are a pretty easy breed but they're smart and they can have a bit of an edge to them at times. They need guidance or they can be rather bossy. Biting is a huge no here. None of mine have ever tried to bite a human as it's totally against the breed's nature to do so, but if that happened it would be dealt with quickly. Are you sure it is aggression or could it just be lack of bite inhibition? A lot of mine have been nibblers or rough when playing but they don't mean harm, they just need to learn how to play without tearing someone's hand up with sharp puppy teeth. At any rate, a sharp, loud noise (like Ah-ah!) will usually startle them and get them to stop. Reward appropriate behavior.

This breed is SMART, considered by many to be one of the smartest in the world. Add to that the fact that they're pretty cunning and strong willed at times and they can walk all over people. Try obedience class for starts, give him a chance to use that brain for good. Also exercise is your friend. Paps can be quite high strung (not all but many are hyper). A tired dog is a good dog is my motto. Also check out NILIF (in the stickies on the site)

How long have you had him?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your info :)

We have had him 2 weeks.

I can live with the crying I understand that it will take time, what I am finding really difficult is that contrary to what people say and what you read some dogs will eliminate in their crates, Louis has done so every night since we put him in it, even though we take him outside just before bed (just on the step because he can't do out properly until Saturday), he will not do his business outside, only once has he done it and that was last night, and he got a treat and lots of praise and cuddles, we then put him in his crate and went to bed, 10 minutes later we went back down stairs because a 20 second pause in his crying usually means he has done a poop in his crate, and true to form he had.

We lived with a dog in the past that pooped and weed in his cage for 12 years and I really don't want to go through that again :(, our previous dog would be taken on long walks everyday sometimes 2 hours or more and would wait until she got back in the house before doing her business.

That is why I find is so hard reading dogs NEVER go where they sleep, trust me sometimes as hard as you try they do!

I'm sure Louis is doing in because he is scared, because even if he isn't in his crate and we leave him in the kitchen on his own with the door closed for literally a minute or two he cries and when you go back in he has done his business on the kitchen floor.

We have puppy pads down and take him outside regularly but nothing is working at the moment. Two days in a row he went all day and evening without doing a poop, we came down at 7am to find as expected he had done one in his crate, but the next time he did one was when he was put back in his crate at 11.30 pm that night, I spend almost all day trying to get him to go but he refused, and they say dogs can't hold it.

Please can anyone give me any advise, it really isn't nice to get up and clean up poop and have to wash the pup every morning.

As mentioned above we have tried everything to soothe him, ticking clock, radio, light off, light on, waiting until he is a sleep before putting him to bed.

I totally agree now that taking him into our room is a big no no, because even if we put him in his crate 10 minutes before we go to bed and sit with him that doesn't stop him crying, he just appears to HATE his crate. So if we were to move the crate to our room I don't belive that will make a difference, and waking up to the smell of poop and wee is a big no no.

Regrading the aggression, I think most of the time he doesn't mean it and sees it as a game, but it's when you try to take say a cushion he is chewing off him he just looks at you and really snarls and growls and sometimes will nip, we are doing the "ouch", followed by "no bite", but as I said I don't think he means it.

My main concen is the pooping and weeing ;(

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dee

·
Registered
183 Posts
My papillon used to pee/poo in her crate whenever I left her in it for an hour or so even if she'd been just before i put her in. So I didnt use it over night, I let her have the run of the bathroom with a puppy pad by the door. Now shes older (15 weeks) she sleeps in the kitchen with my other dog and uses the doggy door. We do still have accidents though :D

Roxy doesnt have the typical papillon temperament either, she will growl at my children if they pester her when shes tired and growl/snap at other dogs as shes frightened of them. We're working to get over these issues with a vet and behaviorist and its getting better (slowly). I would definitely agree with training classes, they are very intelligent and pick things up quickly unless there being stubborn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

I'm glad to hear someone else has experienced the crate pooping and weeing (well not that I'm glad it's happened to you :)) but you know what I mean.

We really have no option but to keep him in the kitchen because of the constant crying, we have two children, one has school and the other has work, so if we put him in the upstairs bathroom he would keep them awake all night. We have a downstairs bathroom but again because of it's location his crying would keep the kids awake. They don't currently hear him in the kitchen.

He won't even use the puppy pads, I mean he has hit them a couple of times but more because they happened to be in the place he decided to wee more than anything else. He will openly pee in front of you, just 10 minutes ago I took him outside and said go potty, nope, brought him back in, he looked and me and weed on the kitchen floor, I said "no" and took him outside, he came back in and within 5 mins he weed again, again on the kitchen floor. Whilst that's no ideal, I can handle that, it's the doing it constantly in his crate that I really want to stop.

Dee

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add on, because Louis has slept 2 nights with my hubbie in a sleeping bag and he was as happy as larry, never cried or done his business once the whole night and slept right through the night my hubbie thinks that we should put him in his regular bed in our bedroom and he will be fine because he can see us, I have said that it's not a good idea, but he is convinced it's a good option, please can I have your opinions :)

We both love him to bits but hub seems to think he'll be a little angel whilst I think I'm being more realistic ;)

Thanks

Dee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts