Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 month old Aussie/Border Collie mix still pees and poops in the house sometimes but usually only in my bedroom! If she does mess in an other part of the house it is usually due to OUR mistake - ie: not paying attention that she is at the door or getting in late from work.
We keep the door to my room closed but often she does it early in the morning (she sleeps in bed with me). Sometimes it's on the floor - other times it's on my bed! And it's not every night - maybe once or twice a week.
We have taught her to go to the door when she needs to potty and she often does - but she also goes to the door anytime she wants to go out, which is usually anytime she sees a squirrel or bird outside which is 20 times a day! And the other thing is that sometime we go outside and she sniffs and sniffs and walks and walks sometimes for 35 - 45 minutes but doesn't do anything then will come inside and poop on my bedroom floor! She always goes outside on the leash since she has realized that she can jump the fence.
Right now we free feed her but I am thinking about feeding her earlier in the day and taking her food and water away a couple of hours before bed. Maybe then she won't have to pee until a little later when I get out of bed myself.
My other option might be to crate her in my room at night but I hate to do that since she really loves lying on my bed at night in front of the window. We put her crate away several months ago since she rarely potties anywhere else in the house other than my bedroom.
I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me - Bella is such a wonderful companion but I'm tired of finding pees and poops in my room! Other than this she is usually very well mannered.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would crate her at night if she is unreliable. Thing is, you give her the freedom to do this, and she does it while you are sleeping, not a thing on earth you can do about it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
At the very least, I would stop free feeding. If you put her on a feeding schedule she will potty on a schedule, too. Just make sure that the last time you feed her is early enough for her to poop before bed. And, a walk or play time a bit before bed might get the bowels moving enough for her to poop before bed, so that she is empty til morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would definitely put her on a feeding schedule, it will help with potty training and also help establish you as the pack leader, which will help with all aspects of training. If she goes early in the morning than don't feed or water late at night.

We were potty training an older puppy too, and the most important thing is to always pay attention. Keep her on a leash in the house and have your hand or foot on it at all times. Look for "im about to pee" signs like circling, and when you catch her in the act interrupt it, say "No!", and bring her outside to finish right away. It took a couple weeks and many successful mid-pee interruptions before our dog got the right idea. Until she's fully potty trained, always give her a treat and lots of praise after she pees/poops outside!! You say she goes when you get home late from work? Maybe she's being left alone too long to hold it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the other posts. Dogs need structure and established feeding and walking times help control "accidents". Crate training is also a good method. I was having similar problems (with even bigger dogs!) and I ended up breaking down and buying a training program (well three actually). Good luck! Let us know if the feeding schedule works!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses. We have put Bella on a feeding schedule. Since she has never been a morning eater, we feed her a moderate amount of food at about noon and then a smaller amount at about 7. The past 2 days - no accidents! And she seems to eat better now - she has always been a lousy eater, some days she would go all day taking only a bite or two but now she eats when we put the bowl down. we have alsio added a bit of wet food to her evening meal since that seems to help her "potty" before bed as well. So we are heading on the right track. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's great news!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts