Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone and thank you so very much for reading my thread. I am 14 years old and we just got a 4 month old Golden Retriever from a friend.

A few months ago we got a black Labrador from the animal shelter and I felt so nervous on the first day we took it back. If anyone's ever gotten that nervous feeling in your stomach on the first day please tell me how you coped with it. I don't want to let this dog go, but at the same time it is a bit overwhelming. Is this normal for new dog owners? Is this normal for kids? If I get to the point where I can't bear the feeling, should I return the dog?

Someone please reply; I am so desperate for your help. Thank you oh so much. :confused:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Are you scared of the dog? Nervous because you're afraid it will bite? Please clarify why this feeling is there.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, I'm scared of the dog. I know these are nice dogs. I've just come to the realization that this is going to be a HUGE responsibility that I am probably not totally mature enough to undertake. I love the whole "training and playing" thing. But there's another side to that.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you're not ready for it, give the dog back, or find it a good home. It IS a huge responsibility, and if you're not willing to work at it 100%, rehome him/her.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You have to decide that. Feel free to give it a few days, do some training, walks, play, ect. If you still feel overwhelmed, find a great home for him. Try to avoid taking him to the shelter.:eek:

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
The fact that your asking this mean that you care about the well being out these dogs which is great. It just means you care.
That said you're the only one that knows what you can and can't handle.

Since you're 14, I'm assuming you're living with your parents so will they take care of the dogs? I know many parents tell their kids to take care of pets for a sense of responsibility but if your parents really like the dogs, they will care for them too. So why not discuss it with your parents.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I agree with zhaor. You should talk to your parents. Raising a dog is a huge responsibility and frankly I don't think it's one that should be foisted upon a 14 year-old. The dog will be around for the next 15 years or so. They need to be prepared to pull their weight for the dog too.

Sit down with your parents and decide who's going to be in charge of doing what for the dog. Who will train, who will feed, who will walk the dog? Who will take it out to pee/poop? Once you have a better idea of what raising a dog entails, the task will seem less gargantuan and you're likely to be much less nervous. Splitting the responsibility amongst you, your parents and any siblings will also lighten the burden on your own shoulders.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I never had dogs when I was growing up. I got my Cupid, my first dog, in November. Once I left the Humane Society with him, I was TERRIFIED. Honestly, I was a basketcase for the first week, but I read a lot, learned a lot, and got through it. And Cupid adores me, so I don't think I'm doing too badly. :)

Yeah, you should probably talk about it with your parents, but also know that anything new brings a little fear. It's OK to be afraid. Just educate yourself and do the best that you can. If you can devote yourself to a dog, you'll be fine. And the fear will ultimately fall away, and you can enjoy the pup.

I got Clayton in April, and there was a little fear when I brought him home as well. It passed in a day or so.

It gets better.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I say give the boy a chance...

When i got my first dog i was 8 and it was my whole responsability(except for the bills of course)
I trained, educated, fed, groomed,bath,played with the dog.
However i always had a passion for dogs, that probably made the big difference in my commitement and responsability for my then Boxer.

Now i'm 18 and i own my own dog, a Siberian Husky pup(1y.o.), plus i take care of an adult mutt(6y.o.) and a mutt pup (4months old), i train,feed,groom,bath,play with all 3 every day when time lets me do so. Sure, my family helps sometimes (i keep thinking they should take more care of the adult mutt and the pup because those two are family dogs, the Husky is only mine)
But oh well! If you truly believe in yourself, you will manage greatly with your new dog.

Not feeling ready doesn't mean you are not ready to have a dog, your feelings might be because of your nervousness, and you are a bit confused, it will probably wash out once you bond more and more with the dog.

By the way, saying that it's a necessity to work with a dog 100%, is very VERY compromising.

NONE of us (not even breeders) are 100% commited to their dogs, because we have a life besides the one in our houses, we don't live for the dogs, nor we live because of them, we only live with them,and they are part of our home life.
Some people may, but their world revolves around dogs, to the point it can be sickening.
Saying that unless you are commited 100% to a dog it should be rehomed, is a very cruel and unfair statement.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Saying that unless you are commited 100% to a dog it should be rehomed, is a very cruel and unfair statement.
Well, no one said you have to spend 100% of your time with the dog, but you do have to be 100% committed to doing your best for that dog. Which would include going to work to pay for dog food :p .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never had dogs when I was growing up. I got my Cupid, my first dog, in November. Once I left the Humane Society with him, I was TERRIFIED. Honestly, I was a basketcase for the first week, but I read a lot, learned a lot, and got through it. And Cupid adores me, so I don't think I'm doing too badly. :)

Yeah, you should probably talk about it with your parents, but also know that anything new brings a little fear. It's OK to be afraid. Just educate yourself and do the best that you can. If you can devote yourself to a dog, you'll be fine. And the fear will ultimately fall away, and you can enjoy the pup.

I got Clayton in April, and there was a little fear when I brought him home as well. It passed in a day or so.

It gets better.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm glad someone knows. Wow, remarkable

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, no one said you have to spend 100% of your time with the dog, but you do have to be 100% committed to doing your best for that dog. Which would include going to work to pay for dog food :p .
Lol, but you don't go to work only to pay for dog food:p

You know.. you seriously made me think about going to live to the woods and haunt my own food to feed me and my dogs lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm an adult and got my first dog around 4-5 months ago, and I had that feeling in my stomach for the first MONTH!

It IS a big responsibility, but once you get to know the dog, and you get your routine down, it will become a LOT easier, and you'll get over that feeling, and get into loving and training the dog. It takes some time, but just go for it. You asking shows that you care about the dog, and want what's best for it.

Research, research, research, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

If we can't answer them, a vet can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You know, I am a LOT older than you are and my daughter and I got a puppy about 3 weeks ago. I was so happy, then the reality set in and I was thinking over all of the negatives. I had that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that said, "Oh no, what have I done? This is too much for us!" and to be honest, I still get that feeling sometimes. It is starting to fade, though, and it gets better every day. I am starting to build a bond with Luna and falling in love with her. Her behavior is improving each day, and I am so glad I have her now.
Coming on here to talk about your feelings is a great thing! The members here have set my mind at ease and I know that in the long run, having a lifelong friend and companion for myself and my daughter is worth these feelings now. Only you know what is best for you and your family, but I think your feelings are normal for a lot of new puppy owners in the beginning. The fact that you are here shows that you care about what is best for your puppy. I wish you the best of luck. If you keep your pup, please stick around. If not, let us know and still stick around so you can learn and be more prepared for when the time is right. But I would give it a few days or a week first, if it were me. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
My advice is to give it a few days. During your "try-out" period, feel out what the needs of the dog are, and what resources you will need in order to care for it. Also, before you make up your mind permanently, think of how yor dog will be cared for when you go back to school this fall.

Kudos to you for coming online for advice, by the way :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
The reason people love dogs so much is due to the fact they are a huge responsibility.

See, it's a double-edged sword. Dogs are only worth it if you put the effort in, the effort is what returns the rewards! You will never have a close and satisfying relationship with a dog without the effort.

So basically, yes, it is a huge responsibility, but the responsibility is the reason you and your dog will build a special bond unlike anything/anyone else.

I love dogs, I'd rather take a dog for a walk then watch tv nowadays, no doubts!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The reason people love dogs so much is due to the fact they are a huge responsibility.

See, it's a double-edged sword. Dogs are only worth it if you put the effort in, the effort is what returns the rewards! You will never have a close and satisfying relationship with a dog without the effort.

So basically, yes, it is a huge responsibility, but the responsibility is the reason you and your dog will build a special bond unlike anything/anyone else.

I love dogs, I'd rather take a dog for a walk then watch tv nowadays, no doubts!
+1!

(bla bla 10 characters)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts