Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Should she not have a blanket in her crate if she digs or chews on it when fighting sleep? If so, is there something else we can put in there that will be comfortable that most people wouldn't mind their puppy making a chewing habit of?

Video: Here is video of her doing her thing to the blanket in her X-pen. (Her X-pen is set up so small right now because she had an accident in her crate last night and we are cleaning it. Hence we are using the X-pen as a crate for the moment so the blanket is in the X-pen as well. She does the same thing in her crate.) https://youtu.be/W6x6K74xnr4

Background: My puppy is sometimes like a toddler who cries and continues to try to play to avoid taking a nap. I usually keep a blanket in her crate for her to sleep on but when she doesn't want to sleep she digs and chews on the blanket. She doesn't do much damage to the blankets but we don't want her to learn that chewing on blankets is fun and have her chew on our nice blankets. Bitter apple spray works on hard things but not fabric. She doesn't particularly care for chew toys even though I praise her when she chews them. If I give her a cow ear or bully stick, she cries and whines when she is finished and works herself back up into a tissy. We give her lots of play and take her to puppy playtimes at the local trainer's 4xs a week (they require proof of first and subsequent vaccines when you attend). She also is taking a puppy kindergarten class and nose work class.

Last night she had her first accident in her crate. It was poop and she dug up her blanket, pooped, then put part of the blanket back over it. We had just made her crate larger that evening. Also it was raining cats and dogs and the wind was howling when I took her to potty in the middle of the night. She peed then ran back up the stairs. She pooped within minutes of going back into her crate after the potty break, right as I was crawling back into bed. She usually barks and howls when she needs to go potty but last night she only whined a little after I put her back in her crate and as she was energetic when I took her out last night for her potty and she often whines when we put her back when she wants to play, I assumed she just was unhappy that we didn't play with her. We don't ever play with her after a potty break in the middle of the night but she still holds out hope.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Normal puppy thing. A fleece blanket is the safest because if they eat some of it, it is unlikely to cause a blockage. If she's not doing much damage to it, I wouldn't worry about it. She'll probably grow out of it.

I would say the accident in the crate was just a fluke. Many dogs don't like to go potty outside when it's storming or raining. Too distracting, and they don't like it. My adult dog won't potty outside when its raining, but he can hold it longer than a puppy, lol!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts