Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Am new here and need a little help and maybe some reassurance. My first ever female, 14month old springer spaniel has come into heat for the 1st time and she is displaying some unusual behaviours. A few things we have noticed:

1) erratic appetite - i assume is normal
2) very strange odour - assume is normal
3) drinking and peeing a lot - assume is normal and marking her scent
4) whining a lot
5) total loss of energy - very lazy, lethargic and moping around in general - leading to >
6) being laid down for extended periods of time which, when she goes to get up it looks like she is limping for a few moments and then is ok after a minute or two after moving around. Now I can only put this down to her being a little stiff as I understand she must be feeling quite stressed currently which cant be helping.

Point number 6 is what we are worrying about. can anyone shed any light on this??

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Your description of her behaviors are common with Pyometra. Pyometra is uncommon in a bitches first heat, but I would still get it checked out because on the off chance that it IS Pyometra it is almost always fatal if not treated right away.

Symptoms of Pyometra
creamy opaque discharge
foul odor
lethargy
decreased apatite
increased water intake and urination
enlarged abdomen (in advanced cases)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice and information. The strange thing is, she now seems totally normal! Maybe still a little more affectionate than normal but otherwise totally fine. Her energy level is normal, eating normally, playful as usual. I have checked her over to look for what you mention above and there is no discharge at all and other than the normal spotting of blood, there never has been. The odour has all but disappeared. There is no distended tummy. I will monitor her for next 24 hours and if any other change then I will get her straight to the vets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

We first noticed the droplets of blood on the 4th december. She shows all the classic sings I have read up on such as flagging and backing up. Loves her back end scratching...haha. appetite up and down.

Today, it's like she is a normal doggy all over again. go figure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts