Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new here and don't know what to do. My Katie girl is very sick with CHF, which started 2 weeks ago. The vet wants to put her down, but I can't seem to find the strength to do so.

She is coughing at rest, her stomach is swollen and her body sounds like fluids.

This is a stupid question but how do I put my best friend to sleep? Can someone please help me.

My husband is out of town and last night and tonight I have cried buckets while holding her.

Do you think she can live a few more months?

I have three dogs and I got them all at age 6 weeks, they are brothers and one sister.

I need someone to help me do the right thing, because I can't seem to find the strength.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Depending upon severity, you might ask the vet about putting her on Lasix and a heart medicine. He could also use a large bore syringe and remove some of the fluid from her abdomen. It might buy her anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. I had that done with a Cocker, and was eventually getting her abdomen drained weekly for about 2 months.

With that said, there is no cure for CHF. And if your dog is stressed out by the vet, then it's not worth making her last weeks/months stressful going to the vet frequently. Looking back on my experience with my dog, I realize I did that for myself, not my dog. I wouldn't do that to another dog.

Your last gift to your beloved pet is to give them a humane passing and not let them suffer. Basically, you are taking on their pain, so they won't have any. Try to do what is best for your dog, not what is best for you. You can take her to the vet and have them give her a sedative, and she'll go to sleep. You can stay there while she drifts off to sleep. Then you can either leave, and she won't know you've gone, and the vet can euthanize her, or you can stay there.

But don't let her continue like she is. If your vet can't do as I mentioned in the first paragraph, then you need to have her humanely euthanized. CHF isn't a pleasant way to die. Because their lungs fill with fluid (that's why they cough), they end up drowning in that fluid. The feeling of not getting enough air/drowning is horrendous.

Hugs. It's the worst part about owning pets. But knowing that you can repay them for their love with the promise of not suffering at the end, is an amazing gift that you can give her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending upon severity, you might ask the vet about putting her on Lasix and a heart medicine. He could also use a large bore syringe and remove some of the fluid from her abdomen. It might buy her anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. I had that done with a Cocker, and was eventually getting her abdomen drained weekly for about 2 months.

With that said, there is no cure for CHF. And if your dog is stressed out by the vet, then it's not worth making her last weeks/months stressful going to the vet frequently. Looking back on my experience with my dog, I realize I did that for myself, not my dog. I wouldn't do that to another dog.

Your last gift to your beloved pet is to give them a humane passing and not let them suffer. Basically, you are taking on their pain, so they won't have any. Try to do what is best for your dog, not what is best for you. You can take her to the vet and have them give her a sedative, and she'll go to sleep. You can stay there while she drifts off to sleep. Then you can either leave, and she won't know you've gone, and the vet can euthanize her, or you can stay there.

But don't let her continue like she is. If your vet can't do as I mentioned in the first paragraph, then you need to have her humanely euthanized. CHF isn't a pleasant way to die. Because their lungs fill with fluid (that's why they cough), they end up drowning in that fluid. The feeling of not getting enough air/drowning is horrendous.

Hugs. It's the worst part about owning pets. But knowing that you can repay them for their love with the promise of not suffering at the end, is an amazing gift that you can give her.
Thank you so very much for your suggestions. My Katie is scared of the vet and that makes it very hard for me to take her there because I don't want to stress her out. You are right though, I don't want her to drown either. This is just an impossible situation to be in.

I never knew this could and would hurt so much. I am 42 years old and lost my Mother a few years ago, and this sounds crazy but this hurts the same. I love my girl! I have never treated her like anything other than a family member.

She is able to eat oatmeal and still drinks water. She can go out to do business but is winded and coughing. Every now and again she has that spark in her eye that keeps me trying.

Right now, I am just trying to make sure she is comfortable and hope I have the courage to do this.

Thanks so very much for your post!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Katie are going through this.

I also have an elderly dog with heart failure, and I'm dreading the day I have to send her over, but I know it's coming.

My Gidget is the most stoic little dog I've ever known, and my fear is that I will keep her here longer than I should because of it. I'm fortunate to have a vet that has assured me he will tell me when all viable treatment options are exhausted, so I'll know it's time.

I trust my vet's professional opinion, and feel that he has Gidget's best interest at heart.

I don't know why we allow ourselves to love these little creatures so deeply, when we know the pain that awaits; my thoughts are with you and Katie, and I hope you know that you are not alone, that we are here to listen.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
No one can answer your question but I can say this. I've been in your spot too many times and it's not an easy decision. Make sure you are thinking of Katie, NOT you or any other human or dog. Someone recently told me this and it makes sense: better a week early than a week late. Don't let her suffer. I have a year old Brittany, in my signature line. I;ll give her an extra hug tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts