Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy seems to be very smart. She already knows, sit, paw, down, roll over and we are currently learning the leave it command. My question is: she only seems to respond when I have treats. If I don't have them in hand, she find other things to do... for example when I say sit to put her leash on, she wont??? Is just a phase... will she get these tricks with out treats?? just wondering...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
This can happen sometimes if your dog comes to expect a reward after every command. One way to combat that is to shake up your praise styles. Don't always use treats, instead add in favorite toys or just your excited verbal praise to the mix. Similarly, try asking the occasional group of commands before rewarding. For example, instead of going sit, praise, paw, praise, down, praise, and so on - have her do all three commands and THEN give a reward. You have to change her mind set so that she doesn't know when the treat is coming and is therefore more likely to keep working in anticipation.

In the meantime, I would suggest slowly phasing out the treats themselves. You can try tricking her by rubbing a treat on your hand or fingers beforehand so that the smell is there (enticing her) but when she does the command correctly, instead of giving food you'd use verbal praise or some kind of play. That's not to say you can't use food rewards at all, just make it so they aren't the only desirable thing your puppy can get out of behaving. She might then be far more likely to follow a command without you having to wave a treat around in her face.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I tend to lure with food, and suggest the possibility of food with puppies more often than I actually give it. Same with adult dogs.

I would say for every 3 times a puppy does something right then food will be given, and every 10 times an adult dog does something right food will be given.

I do more luring than giving (allow the dog to see the treat, smell the treat, follow the treat, but not get the treat from your hand, maybe just chew on it while coaxing into a down for the first time, or luring into a stand from a sit position.)

The biggest mistake the new puppy owners make is - you're manipulated by your dog. Your dog is cute, your dog is smart, and we let them get away with too much.

Never ask your dog to do something more than twice before physically doing it for the dog. IE - if you ask your dog to sit and your dog does not sit, (if you correct, correct here, if not, just redirect) ask your dog to sit a second time. If the dog does not sit, put one hand on the chest, one hand on the bum, and guide your dog into a sit.

The more you ask your dog to do something without following through on it, the more your puppy will have selective hearing, and all of your IMPORTANT words will lose impact.

Good luck :)

Meghan

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
You pup is practicing the beagle version of Nothing In Life Is Free. (Works both ways.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts