Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, I bought a puppy (Maltese/Pekingese) mix. She's about 13 weeks old now and her name is Lola. Anyhow, she did fine for the first week and a half... she gave me lots of love and kisses, no barking, no crying started to use the training pads to pee on (but wouldn't poop on them).

She seems to have gone backwards. A few days ago, a stepped on her little paw by accident and she made that high pitched squeal. Of course, feeling guilty, I lifted her up and gave her lots of love to soothe her. Well, she kept squealing at random that night so I took her to the vet the next morning. She was fine, no broken bones... just a little bruised. Anyhow, now she won't stop squealing. She doesn't do it consistently... it's more random (in the middle of playing, while I'm holding her, when she's in her pen, while she walks around). I started to think she was doing it for attention (that's what my friend who has a dog told me). Now I think she does it for two reasons... sometimes for attention (usually just one or two squeals) and sometimes I think she's scared (squeals and freaks out and runs off). I think she's scared of the noises from outside as I live in downtown LA, but I don't understand why it didn't bother her for the first 10 days. Also, she's still affectionate, but definitely not the same as when I brought her home. Also, she's now back to peeing on my rug and not on the training pads. Is she mad at me or scared of me? Help!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Puppies who are new to our home, especially young ones, go through an adjustment stage. Every puppy's adjustment is different.
Some are especially quiet, waiting to settle in until they feel the place out a little, and start to feel comfy. It sounds like she may have been a bit nervous in the beginning, and, while she was affectionate, she was quiet. Now, she may feel comfy enough in her new home to start expressing herself to you, show you what scares her, what makes her nervous, etc.
As far as peeing on the rug again, puppies don't have complete physical control of their bladders until about 6 months old, so expect accidents, unless you are supervising her constantly and can catch it every time she needs to go. Make sure you are taking her out at the usual times: when she wakes up, even from a nap, and after eating and playing. Besides those times, she should go out every hour or two.
Make sure you clean up the messes with an enzymatic cleaner, so she won't be able to smell them. Or, you could use water and vinegar. Regular household cleaners, even those that say they're for pet stains, won't break down the enzymes, unless they are an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution.
Good luck!:)
P.S. I've stepped on my little Abby's paws a few times and she holds no grudges! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the info and advice! I know she is scared by the noises outside... what should I do when she starts crying that high pitched squeal? Should I ignore her or comfort her? I've received conflicting advice and I don't know what the right thing to do is. This morning, she was scared by the garbage trucks and was squealing. I ignored her for about 20 minutes, but when she didn't stop I went and picked her up out of her pen. She was just breaking my heart. She seemed to calm down, but did still squeal even in my arms and popped up out of my arms nervously.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts