Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently adopted an abused 12 yr old chihuahua. He has one eye and no teeth. He is very bow-legged, but runs, jumps off the couch, and overall gets around fine. I give him joint tablets daily as well. He looks as if he were kept in a crate is entire life and breed. His front legs are bowed as well.

Recently I took him to the vet and the vet recommended doing hip surgery on my dog. Winky(the dog) is only 4.5 lbs and is just very old and beat up. My intention when adopting him was to give him a good home for what ever time he has left.

Should a dog his age and condition really have the surgery done? I would think there is higher risk for him dying by having the surgery. He gets around fine and does not act as though his legs bother him at all. Any thoughts? Thanks :(

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Honestly...I probably would elect to not have the procedure done. Winky sounds like he just needs a retirement home and a nice place to sleep.

That being said, since he DOES have this condition...I would also limit his jumping on and off things to a small occurrence. It probably isn't best on his already damaged hips to be hopping around like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I invested in doggie steps for him, but he is still confused to what they are :) hopefully that way I can get his jumping limited.

Thanks for the advice. It is was I was thinking. He is just an old man who needs to experience a lot of love for the next couple years. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts